Monday, December 30, 2013

Best Books I Read in 2013...

For 2013, I set a goal to read 113 books. I did it! 



When I shared my achievement on Facebook, I had many friends asking for my top ten. I'm not sure how to come up with this list. There are so many different kinds of books...

My list isn't a top ten. I've divided my list into genres and listed my top...3, 5, 7...(I can't narrow it down anymore, I'm sorry!) 

Here are my lists:


Young Adult Fiction

      1.  Aristotle & Dante Discover the Secrets of the    Universe, Benjamin Alire Saenz
2.  The Fault in Our Stars (audiobook read by the author), John Green
3. Eleanor & ParkRainbow Rowell
4. Last Night I Sang to the MonsterBenjamin Alire Saenz
5. Winger, Andrew Smith


Middle Grade Fiction

1   1.    Hold FastBlue Balliett
2.     Almost Home, Joan Bauer
3.     False PrinceJennifer Nielsen
4.     Runaway King, Jennifer Nielsen
5.     Counting by SevensHolly Goldberg Sloan
6.     Hattie Big SkyKirby Larson
7.     A Monster Calls, Patrick Neff


Adult Fiction

1   1. Me Before You, Jojo Moyes
2.  A Simple Thing, Kathleen McCleary
3.  The Supreme Macaroni Company, Adriana Trigiani

Nonfiction Adult

1    1.  Still WritingDani Shapiro
2.  The Reason I JumpNaoki Higashida & KA Yoshida
3.  Falling in Love with Close Reading, Kate Roberts & Chris Lehman
4.  Energize Research Reading & WritingChris Lehman
5.  Let’s Pretend this Never Happened, Jenny Lawson

Picture Books

    1.     Day the Crayons Quit, Drew Daywalt
  2.     Exclamation Point, Any Krouse Rosenthal
  3.     Carnivores, Aaron Reynolds & Dan Santat
  4.     Crankee Doodle, Tom Angleberger
  5.     Chloe & the Lion, Mac Barnett & Adam Rex
  6.     Little Red Writing, Joan Houlb & Melissa Sweet
  7.     Battle Bunny, Jon Scieszka & Mac Barnett
  8.     I’m a Frog!, Mo Willems

  As 2014 begins, I already have books lined up to start the year: 

Books to start 2014:

Book Thief, Markus Zusak
Reading in the Wild, Donalyn Miller
Real Boy, Anne Ursu
Reality Boy, A.S. King
The Giver, Lois Lowry

2 comments:

  1. Fun! Of course, I'm not quite done for the year, yet...but here is my best of:

    Best Picture Book: Battle Bunny, Scieszka (my kindergartener's favorite: Room on the Broom)

    Best Middle Grade: Far North, Will Hobbs (an old one, but new to me!)

    Best YA: The Fifth Wave, Rick Yancey

    Best Graphic Novel: March, Book One, Lewis and Aydin

    Best Nonfiction: The Trouble with Boys, Peg Tyre

    Best Speculative Fiction for Adults: The Lies of Locke Lamora, Scott Lynch

    Best Mystery for Adults: Until Thy Wrath Be Past, Asa Larsson

    I'm going to crosspost this on Facebook...hope others add their favorites so I can get some more suggestions for the coming year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My two favorite books this year were Divergent and Under the Overpass. Under the Overpass is a story about two college guys who decided to become homeless for 5 months and wrote about their experience. Pretty interesting!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. I love comments!