Saturday, December 14, 2013

Celebration Saturday!

Writing this post and sharing it on Discover.Play.Build.

This year I'm one of the teachers participating in a pilot program in my county. The name of the pilot program is called TRA: Technology Readiness Assessment. That means the sixth graders on my team (about 150 of them) have laptops in each of their core classes. Math, History, Science, and Language Arts. So many words can be used to describe this experience: exciting, difficult, fun, challenging, valuable!

On Wednesday this week, we shared our pilot with a parent group in the county. We presented what we've accomplished so far and what are hopes are for the future. The leader of the project spoke as did my principal,  a couple of parents, three AMAZING sixth graders, and me. I spoke on behalf of the teachers. This is something that's important...very important. I wanted to do my best! I wrote a speech with input from all of the teachers. Rehearsed! Asked for more input. This is something that's important. I really wanted to do my best. 


Before I left for the meeting, I tweeted out to my #nerdlution friends and asked for some support...and support is what I got...so many encouraging tweets filled with kind words! I held those thoughts close as I presented and answered questions. The presentation went well. There were many interesting questions. At the end of the meeting, the superintendent had great things to say about our use of technology. It's great to feel the support. We will be presenting to the school board too. As I was getting ready to leave, I had a few people come up to me and say such nice things. One person came up and asked me for my card. Apparently, I need to be more prepared for things like that as I had no card. :) The next day, I received an email of congratulations from an administrator about my remarks. He said they were outstanding and he also said, "You were a true professional and very impressive." Boy, that feels good!


I celebrate the opportunity to be part of a pilot program.

I celebrate the amazing work the students have done this year with this pilot. 
I celebrate the kindness and support of my PLN, especially my #nerdlution friends!



10 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the successful program with technology and the successful presentation. Great celebrations. Having supportive people (real and virtual) around you is the best celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A feat worthy of celebration! What a exciting time to be a sixth grader in your district.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now this is something to celebrate! Our district went 1to1 this year at every grade level--K-12--amazing things are happening. I know you were nervous about speaking out, but like I tell my speech students, when you know what you are talking about and are passionate about it, it's much easier to to talk in front of people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your presentation. It always helps knowing that people are cheering you on....even if it is from miles away! We are working on going 1 to 1 but we are far from it. You must be excited about what is to come! Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! Sharing in a county wide meetings is never easy. I think you must have the gift of communication! #nerdlution is bringing so much good to people! Happy teaching this coming week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations, Michelle. What a lovely thing to complete, and to feel so successful about, before the new year. I love that you feel good about it, with friends and colleagues supporting you, it's a good way to begin your new year, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations Michelle - how exciting to be part of this, and how rewarding that it all went well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Michelle,
    That's so wonderful that you were well-spoken, well-received and pleased with your work. I am glad your #nerdlution offered support just when you needed it most...congratulations on your successful presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad it went well --we have been thinking about you. Congratulation!
    Clare and Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was wondering what you were presenting! I was thinking about you too. Glad it went so well. Yes, you are more than a professional, you're a teacher.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. I love comments!