Monday, March 10, 2014

Church

Slice of Life Challenge
Please join the challenge over at Two Writing Teachers!
(written Sunday night)


Attending church is part of my Sunday. There were years when I didn't attend and it always felt like something was missing. I'm so grateful to belong to a church where I feel like it's family. 

Today I settled into my seat after a few hellos and hugs and got out my notebook. Getting to church early is an opportunity for me to be silent, pray, write and prepare for the service. I noticed how grouchy I was this morning. 

Shoulders hunched, jaw tense...grouchy, grouchy, grouchy. I prayed for relief. Some problems that I can't seem to figure out. The more I struggle, the worse it seems to get. 

Grouchy, grouchy, grouchy. Unable to relax, I barely sang along to the music (and that's one of my favorite parts)! That made me even more grouchy...

The Pastor baptized a beautiful baby girl, the preschool kids sang some songs, and finally he began his sermon. Today he preached about Luke 23, Jesus' final words...about forgiveness. 


Then Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, because they do not know what they are doing."

Those were the final words of Jesus. Words of forgiveness...as he was on the cross. Suddenly, all of the stress was gone. I breathed deep. That was my answer...forgiveness. I'd been searching for words to help me...and there they were..."Father, forgive them, because they do not know what they are doing."

I love when the sermon feels like it was spoken directly to me. Today I needed to hear those words. Forgiveness...
Here's a great song, by one of my favorite singers about forgiveness... Now comes the hard part...living them!

Enjoy...

6 comments:

  1. I appreciated your words today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe there is a message to me this morning as well; this is the second post on forgiveness that I read this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like we arrived in the same manner - TENSE - and STRESSED - and heard the same message :) I'm trying hard today....but then it's only 7:30 in the morning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great, encouraging, convicting post! It's amazing that Jesus loved and forgave us even before we asked for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy for you, Michelle, that you found the answer you were looking for. It can be such a challenge to forgive but once we let go of our anger or frustration, it is so liberating.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. I love comments!