Sunday, March 23, 2014

Nine Days

Slice of Life Challenge
Please join the challenge over at Two Writing Teachers!

Including today, there are nine days left in the SOLC. I'm sad. Writing everyday has been a challenge, but with each day it's gotten easier...and it became fun! 

This month has changed me in ways I never imagined. I sliced last year...but I didn't really engage. This year, I feel like I belong here. This group of writers inspires me everyday to write my very best, because it's what they give on their blogs. This group of writers shows unimaginable kindness when a blog post touches on a sensitive subject. To have an audience such as this to read my writing, has built my confidence and taught me so much...about writing, about life, about myself.

I want THIS experience for my students in class. I strive to create this exact atmosphere where they start out scared and wondering, "Am I good enough?" And leave confident that they can call themselves a writer. 

It makes me sad that this month is almost over...I know, we have Tuesdays and many of us post throughout the week...I just don't want to lose the connections we've made. 

Thank you to Two Writing Teachers! Thank you to StaceyTaraDanaBetsyAnna, and Beth for hosting the Slice of Life Challenge.This is a huge endeavor and your work has made each day better than the last. 

Thank you to Jaana, Leigh Anne, Kevin, Linda, Anita, Julieanne, Loralee, Terje, Bonnie, Tara, Margaret and everyone else who's commented! Your voices are the ones I hear when I'm writing. Words of encouragement and kindness... Thank you!

14 comments:

  1. I love this kind of a post -- a reminder that we don't write alone.
    :)
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  2. This challenge inspired me to bring a challenge like it to my school for the 4th and 5th graders. It's been great! Thanks for sharing your reflection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gee, you must have been reading my mind this morning. As I posted on the SOL page, I wrote a little something along the same lines. It made me "sad" to realize it was day 23....as my circle of writers, like you, have inspired me to notice the details in my life. This is what Donald Graves wrote about long ago. This is what Lucy Calkins preaches about at TC. You have to be in it to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been thinking how to write my thank you slice, still letting the words circle to choose the right ones. Your words shine. Thank you for the mention. Both writing and reading have been fun. We can all celebrate the fun and growth and connections. Happy Writing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kevin's words echo in my mind: "We don't write alone." You, Michelle, have also become a big part of this community for me! I love reading your posts; when you share about faith, learning in your classroom, life challenges and vulnerabilities, nerdlution, and many others. I am also thinking about how I could bring slicing into my high school classes next year. Much to ponder....Thank you Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Your voices are the one's I hear" - isn't that the truth? As I have grown in my bloggie relationships over the years, it is funny who I hear popping into my head as I write, or who I hope stops by to read what I had to say on any given day, or who I miss if I don't have a minute to stop by their blog on a regular basis. So glad you were able to engage this year and get the full extent of what this community has to offer! It has been a blessing to me for several years, and I can't imagine who I would be without it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your post is like a big hug, Michelle. It's a pleasure always reading your posts, & thank you for comments on mine too. Cheers for a terrific final week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Always great to read your slice, Michelle - your creativity and joyous spirit always come through, and you are so brave and honest every day. Keep a goin'!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Once you've experienced this, it's hard to let go and you want everyone to have that same feeling. Good luck in bringing your kids into this world. You don't realize how it changes you until it has changed you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aw, thank you Michelle! Right back at you! There are several (you included in that group.) that I know read and comment on a regular basis. I try to do the same because I know how important those relationships are. There are still places I want to go but this community has helped me beyond belief! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Michelle, this community of writers has become a part of my life also. This was my 3rd year writing and I find that when I don't write every day, I miss it. Not only the writing, but the comments too. It has made me become so much more aware of the every day little things that happen. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aw, thanks! You, too! Hey, we don't have to stop writing when the challenge is over, you know! And I now have a goal to meet you -- in October at TCRWP, remember! That will keep us going!

    ReplyDelete
  13. "Words of encouragement and kindness" make everything easier. This community is so nurturing and supportive, Michelle. I'm so glad you are part of it!

    ReplyDelete

  14. What an honor to see my name. It made me teary.

    Thank you, Michelle. I love reading your blog! Always warms my heart.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. I love comments!