Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Read Aloud

Slice of Life Challenge
Please join the challenge over at Two Writing Teachers!
(written Sunday night)

One of my favorite parts of my job is the read aloud. I don't care how old you are...everyone loves a good read aloud. Sixth graders are funny...they are at that in between age: not little ones, but not quite teenagers...yet. Sometimes they act "cool"...like they couldn't possibly enjoy a read aloud! That's for little kids! But inevitably, they're hooked. 

Picture books are always fun read alouds and satisfying because we finish in one sitting! Here are some of our favorites from this year: 

Chloe & the Lion, by Mac Barnett & Adam Rex

Giraffes Can't Dance, by Giles Andreae & Guy Parker-Rees

ish by Peter Reynolds

The Dot by Peter Reynolds


Big Plans by Bob Shea & Lane Smith

I love reading novels aloud. For a few years the entire sixth grade started the year with Out of My Mind, by Sharon Draper. This is an amazing story of empathy and resilience! This year I decided that all of my classes didn't need to be reading the same read aloud so here are some of our other books: 

3:15 Things that Go Bump in the Night by Patrick Carman

Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library by Chris Grabenstein

Rump by Liesl Shurtliff

Watching them as I read aloud the book and talking about what's happening to the characters is always so much fun! Figuring out the puzzles in Lemoncello's Library is proving to be hilarious! Talking about names and destiny while reading Rump is interesting. I'm discovering things about my students I didn't know...I love that! Read alouds...one of my favorite parts of the day! What are some of your favorite read alouds? 




11 comments:

  1. I loved Rump!
    The One and Only Ivan is the only repeat book this year in our read alouds. It has not been easy finding something new to them and me that we all enjoy lately. We've just begun A Snicker of Magic. I'm hopeful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I LOVE A Snicker of Magic!! Enjoy!

      Delete
    2. A Snicker of Magic is my spring break read. I'm so excited. Also, Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library looks intriguing, as well as Rump. I'm trying to read more "In-between" books because I have a 9 year old who reads Everything. Great list!

      Delete
  2. I love, love, love read aloud. As a literacy coach, I don't get to do it nearly as often as I would like. Two favorites- Barbara O'Connor's HOW TO STEAL A DOG (Novel) and SISTER ANN'S HANDS (picture book). Both oldies but goodies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait for my ELL testing to be over so that I can do more read alouds with my students!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some of my favorite memories from elementary and middle school were the read alouds - The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, The Wolves of Willoughby Chase... I always checked the book out of the library or requested a copy of my own because I couldn't wait to hear more. And today, of course read-alouds are some of my favorite memories with my children.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Readalouds are one of my favorite teacher things - and the kids love them, too. These are a wonderful collection of books, Michelle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE read alouds, even in middle school! I spent time last week in our team meeting talking about how my students were learning figurative language from studying picture books (baby books?) -- my principal hasn't actually been fond of reading picture books in the middle school classroom, but for minilessons and read alouds, they work wonders! Have you tried Owl Moon? Yes, one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  7. As others have mentioned, reading aloud is one of the best parts of teaching. My all-time favorite read aloud is Charlotte's Web, but I love reading new books to kids, too. Today I read Island: A Story of the Galapagos by Jason Chin to our 3rd graders. They loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a college student and I still love read alouds! My professor who teaches my Library class just finished reading a read aloud. Out of all the books on your list, I've only heard of and read Giraffes Can't Dance- which was cute! This will probably be one of my favorite activities when I have my own classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chloe and the Lion is terrific--just read it aloud to Adolescent Lit class last week. I think it's important to read aloud at all grade levels, even college! In Children's Lit this week, I read Extra Yarn and Count the Monkeys--so funny. I still have to read Rump.... hopefully soon!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. I love comments!