Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Update on 2014 Word of the Year: Risk

Slice of Life Challenge
Please join the challenge over at Two Writing Teachers!

Revisiting my word of the year helps me stay focused on taking RISKS. Whenever I've chosen a word of the year, I never know where it will take me. Risk is my word for this year...and I feel like more opportunities to take risks have presented themselves to me...or am I looking for them? 

I led a retreat at a friend's church. I didn't know anyone, except my friend, Bonnie. Nervous doesn't begin to explain how I was feeling. Unworthy. I wondered, who am I to lead  a retreat?!?! It went well...great! When the day ended, I felt like I'd learned a lot too and to me that's always a success. 


I signed up for a mixed media art class. Now, that's not too risky...today I started actually making the art. Just step one. Playing around with paint and techniques...it was fun and child-like and creative and fun again! 


Taking risks I wouldn't normally take...making these choices...I've changed. Every time I've taken a risk, I've had lots of fun or accomplished a goal or I've learned something. Even the times when the risk doesn't work the way I'd wanted...when I fail, it usually leads to something new and exciting and good. 
Pic from USA Today
(http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2014/03/16/amy-purdy-dancing-with-the-stars-snowboarder/6303351/)
THAT'S the lesson I want this word to teach me. Get out there and try! I'm finishing this blog post as a woman, Amy Purdy,  with two prosthetic legs is on Dancing with the Stars. How do I say no to some of these simple challenges, when she challenges herself to the limit? Life if about getting out there and living. Doing. Risk! 

I'm beginning to embrace my failures. Love them! I need the failures to teach me and motivate me. The imperfections push me to grow and learn. Love how this word is changing my life!
Leo taking his own risks and exploring the snow!

16 comments:

  1. You are so right about writing. The more I write the more I find I have to say. It sounds incongruous (sp?) but it really is happening again. I read your post and I want to update on my OLW....but there are only 12 more days until this challenge ends and the great April Exercise Challenge begins....YIKES...so little time and so much to say!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's the April Exercise Challenge?!?!

      Delete
    2. Whatever it is, sounds like something I need! :)

      Delete
  2. I love that you have a word of the year. What a great concept. I think that might be in the works for me next year. Maybe just for me. I can tell my students, and then tell them how it's going, and they can do it to, but I think the power is in all of us sharing in the word. Great post! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love having a word for the year. This is the sixth year I'm doing it! Here are some of my other words: http://1gratefulteacher.blogspot.com/2013/12/from-still-to-risk.html Good luck finding your word! It's a powerful thing!!

      Delete
  3. My today's post is also about my OLW!!! You have really put your word to work for you. Mixed media art class sounds so much fun. I need to find an art class to take this year! Looking forward to seeing more of your art pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Great minds!! The art class is online. I bet she will do another. It's Kelly Rae Roberts. She's amazing!! (http://kellyraeroberts.com/) Thanks for the support with the art. It's fun!

      Delete
    2. Ladies! This has inspired me to write about my OLW tomorrow. Thanks for the inspiration.

      Delete
  4. You chose a great word for the year and are doing a fantastic job exploring it. Sounds like life is full and you are meeting it head on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When we take a risk there is so much potential to grow. What great things your word has led you to explore! Keep taking those risks, fun awaits!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bravo to you - taking risks is scary, but look how you've enriched your life with all the risks you've taken!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a great word. Mine this year is Embrace and I am trying to embrace new things.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So interesting how vital risk-taking is to our lives and how creating a culture of risk is so tricky. I heard Doug Reeves speak in December on just this topic. His position is that schools really aren't set up this way with teacher evaluation systems, etc. But we should. We should try. We should experiment until we find the best, the most efficient, the whatever-superlative-you-want-to-add-next, etc. I applaud your risks, I applaud your focus on cultivating this trait in your life. After RISK, your OLW could go anywhere....!!!! b

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like your OLW check-in is leading you to great things! I love the artwork. Congrats on the success of your retreat! What a compliment to have you led when you knew no one but your friend. That is certainly a risk!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know if writing every day is easier, but I do find it more fun as I make connections here and meet new friends. This is great conversation!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, you are taking a lot of risks and sounds like you are already a better person for trying! That's a great word. I love your line about how maybe you're seeking the risks - I'd say that you are! Bravo to you! Keep being risky!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. I love comments!