Saturday, March 1, 2014

Worlds Collide


Sharing my slice of life (#sol14) over at Two Writing Teachers.  
Please join us!

Every Saturday I get the opportunity to celebrate the week over at Ruth Ayres' blog, 




Today's post is where worlds are colliding. It's the beginning of the month long Slice of Life Challenge AND it's Celebration Saturday...here goes:

My friends are the best. I mean it. The best. This week, I've noticed how my friends have impacted the person I've become.

I believe the word friend has changed. "Facebook friend" has watered down the meaning of the word. That's not what I'm talking about, those are acquaintances...people who knew me once or for a bit.

I'm talking about these friends...
The friends you call when you need a hug or an inspiring word or a drink
The friends you share your deepest secrets with because you know they'll love you anyway
The friends who just get you...even better than you may "get" yourself
The ones who show up before you know you need them
The advice they give because they know you need to hear it, even if you don't want to hear it
The laughing until you can't breathe
The crying until the tears are gone
The hugs that say everything will be okay, when you don't see how it can be okay

I remember growing up and hearing my parents say that you're lucky if you have one or two good friends. I remember hearing the message...it's not about the number of friends you have, it's deeper than that. 

There are a handful of people...women...who fit this bill for me. I believe they know who they are. They've seen me at my worst and forgiven my blunders. They've loved me through tragedy and loneliness and loss. They've asked for my advice and treasured my words. They've shown me that I am worthy...just as I am. 

I am grateful. 

Here are some examples of love shown by my friends this week...
* phone calls checking in 
* impromptu dinner out with my friend treating me
* supportive talks during hard times
* amazing and encouraging support... 


P.S. I can't go today without remembering my Dad. Seven years ago today he died and left a huge dad-sized hole in my life. I miss him everyday. He inspired me and taught me so much. I wrote about him yesterday...

Love you Dad!!!




15 comments:

  1. I love the way your worlds collided today! I started today by READING to see how others' combined or did not combine their posts.....just like I would have kids do....I looked to others for mentor texts. I love yours... and your quiet celebration of friends and you dad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did that too, Anita. When I first read your comment I read, " I love the way your words collide" and really I do love that. I love the worlds colliding too and how you marry the celebration of friends to the celebration of your father and your parents' advice about friends. We must know people cut from the same cloth. Michelle, what joy our friends can be and what a beautiful picture of you and your Dad.

      Delete
  2. I love when worlds collide in such good ways as they do in your post. Yes, I, too, am thankful for those friends who stand by me through whatever life throws our way. I think you've inspired me to call one of those friends today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Colliding creates sparks. Your writing is kind of fireworks in honor of your friends and dad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a difficult time finding friends when I was younger--especially moving schools. But as an adult, I have been fortunate to have amazing friends. I would never want to wish the pain of feeling marginalized on others, but it certainly shaped who I was. I want to let all middle school outsiders know that what makes you different is what will make you a good friend later on to people who start to realize that true friendship is about sharing with others. Sorry to hear about your Dad's passing, but his strength lives on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I experienced friendship this week as well! True friends bring so much joy and love into our lives!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love "laughing until you cry" and "crying until the tears are gone" - two great images. Looking forward to reading your writing throughout March.
    Clare and Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Made me teary as I read and thought about the friendships in my life. Thank you.

    What a beautiful photo of you and your dad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are doubly blessed, Michelle - you have wonderful friends, and you recognize their importance. Great photo of you and your dad.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful post, Michelle. I lost my dad many years ago too. I continue to be inspired by all that he gave me. That is a wonderful photo of the two of you. I enjoyed reading your thoughts on your friends, especially the comment that the term "facebook friend" has somehow watered down the word. You are fortunate to have such caring friends, as I'm sure they feel the same about you! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the idea of worlds colliding, Michelle-what a great way to combine it all. I wondered about it, too! Love your sweet words about your friends and your dad. Seven years goes fast doesn't it? I still miss my mom, and it's been longer than that. Can't replace them, but happy memories are good. Thanks for sharing the picture-I like seeing you with him. Have a great rest of the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful, my friend. I love how you explain specifically what it is about yourself and your actions that honors your dad. =) And I'm so proud and honored to be your friend. I always come away from contact with you refreshed and heartened.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Worlds colliding for sure. All over the blogosphere! So glad you have such a close group of friends. I count all my cyber-buddies as friends, too. I love how you honor your father with the person you are. That's the best way!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ahh in my new role, I no longer have my team mates who are my friends. I miss them daily and I'm glad that we still call, txt, and get together. Thanks for all this colliding feeling into words!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely post, Michelle! I love the picture of you and your dad, and I'm sure your friends feel just as blessed to have you as a friend.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. I love comments!