Friday, April 4, 2014

Poetry at the Writing Marathon

Writing in the outdoor amphitheater 
Joy is...
watching
sixth graders
write
create
relax
observe
©2014 Michelle Haseltine
All Rights Reserved

Our field trip included a writing marathon. 

The students 
walked around and 
wrote
Some wrote poetry, 
some wrote stories, 
some wrote about what they want to be when they grow up,
some wrote lists, 
some wrote comics...they all wrote. 
Students 
wrote in different 
spots
some wrote on a basketball court
some wrote in a tunnel
some wrote sitting next to a brook
some wrote in a football stadium
some wrote in a library
some wrote in a cemetery...they all wrote. 
©2014 Michelle Haseltine
All Rights Reserved



I wrote this poem while we sat in an underpass...

Blue lights
stand watch
footsteps echo
twenty steps (I counted)
connect
one side
to
another

Runners
Saunter-ers
Laughers

They walk
they look
they smile
and
they wonder...

What are they doing?

But no one asks
because
writers are observers 
recording life around us
in our
notebooks
with our
pens
and our imaginations...
©2014 Michelle Haseltine
All Rights Reserved


I'm so grateful for my fellow bloggers who share in my passion for poetry. Check out their blogs and their creative and amazing poems. They inspire me everyday...Julieanne, Margaret, Leigh Anne, Mary Lee, Kevin and Cathy

5 comments:

  1. "But no one asks because writers are observers..." I love taking my students on a writing marathon. It is the highlight of my writing camp each summer. It is so important when molding new writers for them to understand they can write about anything, anywhere. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's moments like these when we say to ourselves, "THIS is why I do what I do...the way I do it!!" Your photos are priceless -- give me goosebumps. We WILL produce a generation of readers and writers. The tests cannot prevent us from doing our/their life's work!!

    These lines grabbed me:

    "writers are observers
    recording life around us
    in our
    notebooks
    with our
    pens
    and our imaginations..."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how your students are celebrating with you and how you have used this experience to write your poems today. I agree, those last lines say it all! Thanks for the shout out and letting me come along for the ride!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love every inch of this post. I wish I was there with you with my students, writing, writing, writing. "...writers are observers recording life around us" - so worth celebrating what you are creating in these young people. Thank you for the mention. This keeps me going.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic! I loved everything about it..."they all wrote" was my favorite...

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. I love comments!