Thursday, June 19, 2014

Legacy of my Sixth Graders

All year we looked at a bulletin board covered with quotes from others. 

We talked about them. We debated our favorites. Those words became part of our community...until we used our OWN words. Using poetry every day as our inspiration, we wrote our own Beautiful Words. Those words covered the words of others.
Beautiful Words at Poet Palooza!
Sharing our Beautiful Words at Poet Palooza


As the year was coming to a close, we discussed what a legacy was. I wanted to know what they wanted to leave behind...what words got them through hard times, inspired them, spoke to them. Students found their words of inspiration and shared them on that same bulletin board...
Words to live by...

Here's a closer look at some of their words...






My favorite thing about this project is the words they chose really fit them! Here's my quote...

"...beginnings are scary, endings are usually sad, but it's the middle that counts...try to remember that when you find yourself at the beginning. Just give hope a chance to float up. And it will, too..."                             -from the movie Hope Floats

What words inspire you? 

2 comments:

  1. I will be stealing some of the ideas I see here. Those boards are awesome! I can't wait to take the ideas to my classroom and bring it into my teaching style. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. I love comments!