Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Distractions

Thank you to Two Writing Teachers. This blogging community has changed me as a writer and a teacher. I can't wait to meet many of you face to face at NCTE. Please join us here and share your slice of life. 


I had another idea for this slice...until I got distracted. There are so many opportunities for distractions in our daily lives. We try to multitask to keep up with everything. There are times that I find myself in places and I don't remember how I got there or why I'm there because I'm thinking about a million other things. 

Monday night I got home late, so I grabbed Bella's retractable leash and took her on a walk. 

Feeling the time crunch, I brought my phone so I could check my email. She usually barks a lot at that first walk after work. It's like she's saying hello to everyone after a long day cooped up. I'm getting used to that. But tonight, as I was distracted checking my phone she ran into the street AT a car. I'm so grateful that the driver wasn't distracted. He stopped. She's fine. It's by the grace of God that Bella is unharmed. I feel awful. I should have been more present and less distracted. She could have been killed! 

What will I take from this? First of all, I'm going to get Bella some training on the leash. Second, I'm taking this as a reminder to be present. Be in the moment. What was so important that I couldn't have waited ten minutes?!?!

Life is precious. Some days I feel like I'm sleep walking through and other days I feel like I'm speed walking through. The moments when I feel happiest are the moments when I'm the most present. I need to unplug more. I'm reminded of an article I read about only checking email twice a day. No checking while waiting at the light or checking in line at the grocery store or when I'm walking the dog. From now on, Bella gets my full attention on our walks. Less distractions. Be. In the moment. Present. 

P.S. As I was looking for some pictures of Bella for this post, I noticed something. Bella is an expert at BEing in the moment. She's fully present...all the time. Here are some examples...





She's an example for me...reminding me to just BE.

13 comments:

  1. Michelle, great reminder. I am trying to practice being present as well. After four days off it is much easier. I wish I could attend NCTE, but it will have to wait another year. I will be following the tweets!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that Bella is safe! You are right -- our dogs can teach us a lot about being present in the moment. (I never thought of that before.) I have been trying hard to be mindful of the minutes and memories so your post is a great reminder of yet another reason why that is important.

    Jennifer
    Sweet Writing Life

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy, It is so very nice to unplug once in awhile. I did this past weekend when we went to MI to be with family - and it was so very worth it! Enjoy the distraction-free time you'll create more of, and I think your family (and Bella) will, too! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad things turned out well. I walk two dogs, so both hands are full and I spend so much time scanning the ground to makes sure there is nothing for them to eat. bassets will eat anything nasty they find on the ground. I don't bring a phone or ID, but sometimes wonder if I should for safety's sake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad Bella is okay. Sometimes I see moms walking their babies in the stroller, but looking at their phones-makes me sad that even for a sweet walk, they can't "be". Good lesson for us all, Michelle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seeing your tweet last night made we wonder what was going on! So glad Bella is ok. Those close calls do give us that perspective. We take so much for granted as we "sleep" or "speed" walk through life. Animals are just the ticket to keep us in the present. Love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad nothing "bad" happened on your walk. It is so easy to get distracted. It seems that we are constantly being pulled in several directions at once. This is a great reminder to stay focused and in the present. I would say that Bella knows what is important.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the reminder to live in the moment. Life is short.
    And your dog is a treasure. Love the photographs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whew! What a terrible moment you must have had - but she is home and safe. Lucky Bella, she is loved...and she is adorable, too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! This is a powerful post. We've all had those moments when we realized that something terrible could have happened because of just a few seconds of inattention. Your precious pictures of Bella remind us to BE!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful reminder to be present always. We tend to get distracted so easily. That is why I refuse to get a smartphone. I know I would be on it constantly. So glad Bella is fine - lovely photos by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bella is beautiful! Thanks for the great reminder. It is so easy to let our devices steal important moments.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow...such an important reminder! I also see it as a reminder to make spaces to check that email so it doesn't have to be squeezed into Bella's walk. Sometimes it seems that we demonize the device rather than prioritize what we need and want to be present for. I look forward to the post about the walk you and Bella have and enjoy tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. I love comments!