Saturday, October 4, 2014

Show Up

Today's post is about celebrating. Thank you to Ruth for a place to share these thoughts. Join us, won't you? Here we are.

I love blogging. I love writing. This week, I feel like I have nothing to say. No stories to tell. The words are all gone. I feel like it's a time to refill and search for the stories to write. Having said all that, I celebrate the fact that I am here. I showed up. This may not be great, but it's here. I'm writing.

I celebrate TED talks again. I'm knee deep in them and I am loving the after school club. Listening to middle school students share their thoughts and ideas inspire me. We talked about what makes an idea big and worth sharing...they have so much to say. It's a perfect example of me (teacher) getting out of their way and letting them go! Here's one we watched this past week...



I celebrate unexpected compliments. I received a few emails this week with such kind words. Here are a few from teachers I'm working with in Literacy Journey...

Thank you for your enthusiasm!


Thank YOU for yesterday. After a rough start to my day, I felt very happy to be with this group. It renewed my spirit to be able to write and to watch true professionals do their jobs. Thanks again for an affirming day yesterday.


Thank you for today.  You guys remind me of why I went into teaching in the first place.

Here are some kind words I received from a parent of a student: 
Thank you SO much for taking the time to talk with me this afternoon.  I am so thankful that * is your student and truly appreciate your care for and guidance of him...

Kind words. A smile...those are big things! While I feel like this post may be lacking, it's here. I'm here. I celebrate the fact that I'm doing the best I can...grateful for this space and the readers I have. 

Thank you! I celebrate YOU today!

10 comments:

  1. Showing up, Ted talk and smiles. You and I seem to be in the same boat today. Have a relaxing and inspiring weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems to me you had lots to celebrate this week (besides showing up, that is!) Savor those comments. Keep them tucked away. At some point, you will have one of "those days" when you will need a little pick me up and these will be there to remind you of all the wonderful things you do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a lovely week of celebrations, Michelle. Those compliments say a lot about the kind of person you are, offering time and inspiration for others! I must say again that your Ted group sounds awesome (time & inspiration!). Also, glad you showed up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love compliments, comments, anything nice from someone, a smile, a hug, a "how's your day going?" That is what connects us. That is what keeps us showing up every day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your post makes me smile - so much of the open hearted enthusiasm with which you go about your life shines through. What a lot you have to celebrate, Michelle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely words of thanks - when people take the time to share their thanks, it speaks to how meaningful your support and time were to them. A lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Celebrating the fact that I am doing the best I can - why is that so hard to realize? I haven't been "showing up" lately and this is a funk I have been trying to get out of. Thanks for reminding me that it doesn't have to be the best - it just has to be! Ruth's words today were also comforting for me. I just love this community! Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you did more than "show up" today. ;-) Tuck those e-mails in a file so you can pull them out again and again! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Encouraging words put courage in us!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used this TED talk with my students to start off our Passion Project work. Perfect!! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. I love comments!