Thursday, January 1, 2015

The Light of a New Year

I love that my first post for the new year is a Spiritual Journey post. Thank you to Holly for starting and hosting this link up. It's helped me grow in so many ways. Join us here


Our theme for the post today is light. I keep thinking of the words of St. Francis of Assisi, "All the darkness in the world cannot extinguish the light of a single candle." And from my favorite book in the Bible, the Psalms, "Your word is a lamp to my feet, and a light to my path." (Psalms 119: 105)

New Year's is a time of quiet reflection for me. I look back and look ahead. Last night, I lit candles. It's been such a long time since I'd lit candles...I don't know why...but the light brought me such warmth, such joy. I woke this morning and lit a candle again. And again, those feelings of warmth and joy and peace came upon me. There's something to this "light" thing. 


As I write about light, I sit with it. I gaze at it. It brings me closer to the woman I want to be and closer to the life I want to live. Light will be part of my life this year...a conscious part. I will be lighting more candles...paying closer attention to the sun in the sky...looking for the light. 




The light reminds me I'm not alone. The light is God...always there, always loving, always providing that warmth and peace and joy...always reminding me that the darkness will end. The light is more powerful! 

On a side note, this video always makes me cry. The lighted balloons at the end take my breath away! I want to do this someday...FLY away with the LIGHT. 

8 comments:

  1. Oh YAY! FLY! What a wonderful OLW!!!!!!!! That video is beautiful, Michelle, and I can't wait to see how you FLY this year!! When I first saw the picture on your sidebar, I thought it was going to be UP, which would've been good, too. ;-) I really love FLY. Happy 2015!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right about this "light thing." I am creating a space for me and it will have candles too. I love this song and especially the end of the video. I can just see so much hope in the faces of those kids. Beautiful post. I see great things happening in 2015. Happy Lighted New Year, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the word FLY as well. . . such a great concept. I agree with you about candles; they breathe peace into my soul. When I'm home I love to have them burning nearby. Happy 2015, Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the concept of FLY! The freedom and joy experienced aloft brings a light to my soul. Thanks for sharing and I look forward to reading your FLY post, just as I enjoy your other posts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great minds think alike! I am looking forward to sharing our OLW together this year -- FLY. I also love your reflection about light. I love to light candles, have my husband build a fire in the fireplace, turn out all the artificial lights...and just sit and watch. So peaceful! Wishing you a 2015 full of light and peace!

    Jennifer
    Sweet Writing Life

    ReplyDelete
  6. The video is wonderful, the song, the lighted balloons, the message. Thanks! I sent you a little light today. Just because! Part of my resolution to Reach!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Michelle I light candles every night that I am home. Lighted candles bring me peace. If it was a hectic day the light brings a sense of calmness (if that is a word). If it was a good day it just adds light to your life. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So beautiful. I wish you a year of FLY and a year of warm LIGHT too. Thank you for this! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. I love comments!