Monday, March 9, 2015

Books I Carry in My Heart

Today is my 9th  slice for the 
March Slice of Life Challenge 


I've read a few blog posts in the past week about favorite book lists. Katherine Sokolowski borrowed the idea from Brian Wyzlic who borrowed the idea from Colby Sharp. I've been thinking about this list. They are calling it the Six-Star Top Ten List. Hmmm...too many numbers. Too confusing for me. I'm going to call my list: Books I Carry in My Heart. 

I like the idea of keeping this list! These are the books that changed me. The books that I couldn't stop thinking about when I finished. The books that helped make me the person that I am.

How many books on the list...ten? That's a good number...but it's kind of an expected list number...my number is going to be?!?! Twelve? I'm not sure. I like the idea of limiting the number so hard choices need to be made, but I'm still deciding on the number.

What kind of books? Middle school books? Picture books? Fiction? Nonfiction? Should I make a list for school and a separate list for me? Should it be one list?

I do want an annotated list. Give a context to why your book is on the list. Tell the story. 

Here's a brain dump of titles that I am considering for my list: 

'Twas the Night Before Christmas
Writing Down the Bones, Natalie Goldberg
Expecting Adam, Martha Beck
The Bridge Across Forever, Richard Bach
Anne of Green Gables, LM Montgomery
Emily of New Moon, 
LM Montgomery
Harriet the Spy, Louise Fitzhugh
Thorn Birds, Colleen McCollough
Last Night I Sang to the Monster, Benjamin Alire Saenz
Tattoos on My Heart, Father Gregory Boyle
Out of My Mind, Sharon Draper
A Long Walk to Water, Linda Sue Park

I can't wait to have this conversation with my students and begin compiling our lists. Maybe we should have a class list?!?! Hmmm...so many ideas, so little time. I'll update this as I make my final decisions, revisions, and edits. Once the list is final, I'll add the stories!

Final for now...the best thing about books is that they change as you change. I look forward to revisiting this list, as the years go on, and seeing which books stand the test of time.

13 comments:

  1. Really thoughtful list. Enjoyed reading it.
    It would be such a powerful conversation to share those lists and open it for discussion.
    I found myself agreeing with you and saying, "oh good book!" But then wanting to know "Why this book?" about others. My favorite though were the books that made me go, "that'd be on my list too!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great title for your list!!! Your title speaks to the impact these books have had on your life. I think this will be a great activity for my ELLs at the end of the school year when they have had a chance to read a variety of books this year! I need to also consider my list; What books do I carry in my heart?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love this! I've tucked it away as inspiration for writing. I'm not sure what I carry in my heart for books. I'm going to let that sit there for awhile. I agree with Miss Moyer, I think a slice about why some of these titles are your "heart books" would be interesting too. But a great conversation for teachers and students alike. Thanks for a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've compiled a personal text set a couple times. It's a wonderful exercise. Good luck with your list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the title you chose for your list. This makes it personal and not some else's list. Great idea to have the students compile their own list. It would be interesting to see what they include.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a wonderful list, Michelle - loved seeing Anne of Green Gables there, too, which is one of my favorites, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved The Thorn Birds! It is probably one of favorite adult books. I loved the movie and adored Rachel Ward! Creating this list would hard but something fun to do...future post maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea. I enjoyed peeking at your initial brainstorm. I wonder which books would make it on my list? Hmm... I may have to snick this slice topic myself. Fun to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good idea! I might need to do this, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Definitely has me thinking about what books I'd include on my list. I think this is something I'd love to start thinking more about. Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this line: Final for now...the best thing about books is that they change as you change.
    I think I could make a top ten (twelve) for every decade of my life.
    I am going to add a couple of your books to my "To Read" list.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great idea and love your title for your list. Did you create the heart? Gorgeous! Will have to think about a list I would have. Great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is such a window into you. I think the time you read a book in your life matters too. I love this idea and have books and authors buzzing around in my brain.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. I love comments!