Saturday, March 7, 2015

Celebrations During the Slice of Life

Today is my 7th  slice for the 
March Slice of Life Challenge 


Thank you Ruth for this opportunity (and reminder) to 
celebrate this blessing called life!



Today I'm writing a slice for the March slice of life challenge AND I'm writing about celebrations for celebrate this week link up!

I celebrate all of my fellow bloggers! It's inspiring to know so many people are writing and blogging alongside me...all over the world! I particularly celebrate the bloggers I've invited to share in this challenge: Jean, Melanie, Meagan, Michelle, Rebeccalee, Lisa, and Kathleen. They are all first time bloggers and I'm loving their blogs! Stop by and comment if you get a chance. 

I celebrate reading. I just finished an amazing book called Tattoos on My Heart by Father Gregory Boyle. He writes about his life working with gangs in Los Angeles. I savored the stories in this book! If you want to listen to Fr. Boyle, watch his TED talk here...




He talks about compassion and kinship. Oh, this is a book I'll return to again and again. I celebrate the lessons I learned through this reading. 

I celebrate student writing. This week we only had two days of school, because of snow days, but I had the opportunity to read the most brilliant and creative pieces of writing from my sixth graders. Complex fantasy stories. Emotionally powerful poetry. Thought provoking mysteries. 

I am in awe of their talent and the bravery it takes to write and to share writing with their writing groups. It's an honor to be their teacher. 

I hope your week has been filled with celebrations. I'd love to hear about them!

18 comments:

  1. Only 2 days of school! You all will probably be well into summer with make up days. I've been reading your students' blogs and they are so well done. I hope my kids will step up their game next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to celebrate the touching posts that I have read this week. The struggles many writers are facing, and how brave they are to give voice to their words. I celebrate the new bloggers that I have had a privilege to visit this week. And I celebrate old timers that give their time to welcome the newcomers! Have a great weekend Michelle! P.S. Tattoos of My Heart is now on my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Celebrate - what a great word. I like how you encouraged and shared. I will also check out the book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this!! Loved the TED talk especially this part: "The problem in the world is that we have forgotten we belong to each other." ~Mother Teresa

    I love how you've inspired other writers and invited them to the challenge. Glad I stopped by here this morning :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Michelle, I knew you had a snow day, but three! Sounds as if you also had two wonderful celebrations. Love hearing about your book and your students' work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always enjoy your posts and the posts of your students. I celebrate your sharing! And, I celebrate the Slice of Life. I can't believe I lasted a week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You truly have lots to celebrate this week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am glad that the two days brought great student writing, I read your previous posts. I like how you found inspiration from every day objects like pens and socks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. No snow days for us, but I'm ready for a break from the snow. Just cold cold cold. Our snow is more ice than anything that relates powder!
    I see the benefits of the classroom challenge, I think your kids will one day be happy they participated when they see how much they've learned!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Father Gregory Boyle is a fixture in my heart, thank you for sharing his TED talk!
    Your students writers are inspired by you. They are so lucky to have you to guide them in the world of writing.

    I wish I could send you a boat load of sunshine. Time for spring! Happy Saturday Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So much writing joy to celebrate, Michelle! let's hope the snow days come to an end, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This book sounds very powerful. I will come back to watch the video after I read and comment some more today. So glad you got back to school. That sure is a lot to miss.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for sharing your important celebrations. It's wonderful to think in terms of life's celebrations!

    ReplyDelete
  14. 2 days of school?!?! Wow! I love returning to your blog again and again. You always stay so positive and honest no matter what is happening!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just letting you know that I celebrated YOU and your pen obsession as part of my celebration post today. :)
    http://useyouroutsidevoice.blogspot.com/2015/03/5-things-i-loved-about-this-week.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. So much to celebrate, Michelle! I'm not surprised to hear your students' writing is amazing. I know you do so much to inspire them. We only had one snow day, and I listed to several TED talks, but this one is new to me. I'll be back to watch it after I read a few more slices.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Michelle,
    Happy Celebration Saturday! The tone of your slice is full of happiness and I like that! It makes me smile to know that your students' talents are shining through in their writing. Also, it's awesome that you've been able to connect other writers to the SOLC too. I hope to get back to your Ted Talk at a later date...thank you for sharing such great celebrations!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ted Talk connection was a good one, Michelle. Thanks for sharing the information.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. I love comments!