Thursday, March 5, 2015

Cookie Monster or Louis Armstrong

Today is my 5th  slice for the 
March Slice of Life Challenge 

Every morning I wake to my alarm song. The phone is set to wake me with music. Right now, the song I wake to is "Thank You" by JJ Heller. 


I usually only hear the first line or two...

It's a perfect way to start the day. I listen to music all morning...Making breakfast. Cleaning the kitchen. Showering. While the coffee is brewing. And driving to school. 

Music is one of those things that can change my mood in an instant. I use music in my class. When we find ourselves in a grumpy mood, I play a song from The Sound of Music or The Music Man.

It never fails! They laugh or groan, but since I act silly and giddy, the mood does seem to change. 

Yesterday morning the song "What a Wonderful World" was playing in class as the students were logging into their computers.


I overheard a couple of students chatting. One asked who was singing this song and the other answered, "It's Cookie Monster." I couldn't help it. The laughter started it's escape. 

The sixth grade boy who declared that Cookie Monster was singing noticed me laughing. I smiled and said, "He does sound like Cookie Monster. I never thought of it that way before. His name is actually Louis Armstrong." 
Music enriches my life, my class, my students. 

12 comments:

  1. Hooked by the title!
    I wondered how these two can relate. But your student has a point!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Students say the darndest things; yet, often they are spot on the money. Both Cookie and Louis see the joy in everyday life and have no problem singing the hearts out for the masses - even though some (as in those on American Idol) would not likely let either one of them onto the next round!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the way classic music lives on for the next generation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! I love this post too. I'll never listen to Louis Armstrong again in the same way. :) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post, Michelle! Music fills my home all the time as well. Now, for the rest of the day, I will be picturing the Cookie Monster singing what a wonderful world as cookies gracefully fall from the sky! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. For some reason, I am thinking that Cookie Monster does sing this song in one of the episodes. It has been awhile since my kids watched it, but that is a foggy memory. I love that song! What lucky students to have a teacher that shares music!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So funny, & I love that you use music to change the mood at school, Michelle. It does work! I love that Louie Armstrong song-makes me happy every time too, so thanks for this wonderful morning greeting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never connected Louis Armstrong and Cookie Monster in this way, but your student is right. Louis had a distinctive voice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to go listen to that song right now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cookie Monster and Louis are now forever linked! Thanks for this musical post, Michelle.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I will have that Cookie Monster thought next time I hear What a Wonderful World. ;) Our house is quiet in the morning. Perhaps a bit of music would be just the thing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmm, Music is so powerful and helpful.
    Love the songs you mentioned.
    Love how you use music in your classroom.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. I love comments!