Sunday, March 1, 2015

Journeys are Always Better with Friends!

Today is my FIRST slice for the 
March Slice of Life Challenge 


March 1. My world changed eight years ago on March 1st. I lost my Dad. He died months after an aneurism burst in his heart. He had a strong heart...a full heart...a heart that was big enough to show everyone he met love and compassion and acceptance and humor. Dad taught me about strength. He showed me how to work hard. Dad LIVED his life. He and I had long talks about life and school and the world. Dad thought about things. Dad SAW me. Dad loved me!  It's fitting that the Slice of Life Challenge starts on the anniversary of his death. Dad never walked away from a challenge. I think he would like my writing about him today.

This year, I've invited new slicers to join us. I think eight will be here. I can't wait to take this journey with them. Long journeys are always better when you aren't alone. 


Dad lived in New Mexico. I'd visit him during spring break. He would take a couple of days off from work and drive over two hundred miles up to Durango, Colorado to enjoy the hot springs. The best part of that trip was the long drive. We'd talk and talk for hours. Long journeys are better with friends and family. I'm looking forward to taking this trip with you!
Me and Dad



19 comments:

  1. Long journeys are always better when you are not alone.

    I love that sentence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this memory of your father. It reminds me to restart writing down things I am grateful for while they are here. You both look so happy in that picture. Happy #SOL15 Day 1!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of backseat drivers ...
    ;)
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Long journeys are better with friends and family. Indeed. And I agree with Kevin, look at all the backseat drivers. (That's hilarious!) Happy March. I look forward to reading your blog, all the time, but especially this month!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely way to start the March challenge - a sweet celebration to remember your dad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The best first slice, Michelle, right from your heart. I will be thinking of you today, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful picture of you and your dad. What an inspiration he was and continues to be, in your life. You are so right that the journey is much better with friends and family and I am so glad you are taking us along!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's the sweetest post about your dad, Michelle. I love your picture. And the dates, even the hard ones of when they left us, always bring them to the forefront of our thoughts. Like others, love this "Long journeys are always better when you aren't alone." Thank you for the wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful photo and even more beautiful memories! I think we should also call you the ambassador for SOL March Writing Challenge! Eight people??? You deserve the PR award!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful post, Michelle. I agree, your dad would love this slice and your journey. Glad you are here. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A great way to start off the month. A trip is always more fun with a group.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! What a day! Thank you for writing with us. I love the "Slicers" and reading all the posts. You and I have such a similar life path -- I also teach 6th grade, and I also lost my dad who was the best guy ever. (Great picture, by the way!) We MUST meet this year somewhere, friend! Have a great month Slicing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your dad has such a kind face. What a beautiful tribute you've written to him today. I love that you've invited so many slicers to join us this year. Journeys are definitely better when taken with friends!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a hard day this is for you. I cannot imagine.

    March is the month we slice since I lost both of my mom's parents in March. My grandfather passed away in 1990 and my grandmother in 2007. Writing all month is the best way to think positively about such a hard month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacey, The summer after my dad died, I was on staff at the local writing project. I cried through every writing group and every piece of writing. I feel like that got me through the grief early on. I love learning the why's behind this challenge!

      Delete
  15. So excited to start this slicing journey thank you SO much for getting me started! You truly are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Michelle, your memories of your Dad are sweet parts of your journey of strength building. With friends life is better. Here's to happy slicing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for sharing a memory so close to your heart! This is a beautiful start to SOL15! I look forward to reading more of your slices. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What an honor to read your story. So touching and full of so much life and meaning! Hold these stories close to your heart. He hears your words and knows you are missing him so.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. I love comments!