Monday, March 2, 2015

Pens...Day 2 of Slice of Life

Today is my 2nd slice for the 
March Slice of Life Challenge 


I have a confession. My name is Michelle. And I am addicted to pens. I LOVE pens. Not all pens, certain pens...specific pens. I like some pencils too...but NOT mechanical pencils. You see I have very specific rules about pens and pencils. They are an extension of me, my thoughts, my ideas. They express those for me. I need just the right pen for just the right moment. Different pens are needed for different notebooks and even different moods. Always colors. I always use so many different colored pens.

When people see my notebooks, they always ask me about them. Do the colors mean anything? Why do you use colors? What are you writing in there? The colors don't mean anything specific. Seeing color on the page brings me to life. It brings out the vivid words and makes me want to return and reread. I break all the rules inside my notebooks. No lines. Cursive. Print. I use stickers and paste things in. There's no plan. It just comes together. 


Pens...I'm not good at sharing my pens. I often have "buffer pens". Those are pens I don't care about...it doesn't matter to me if you don't put the cap on or if you accidentally walk away with it. Once at a meeting with colleagues, (before they fully understood my addiction...I had hidden it well) a teacher asked to borrow a pen. I had a set of twenty-four Pentel pens in front of me. I sighed and hesitated and looked around the room. She looked perplexed and said, "Really?!?!" I stood up, walked across the room and retrieved another pen to lend to her. That story perfectly explains my attachment to my pens. 

My Favorite Brands include Pentel Art Pens, Stabilo Pens, Staedtler Fineline Pens, and of course the classic...Paper Mate Flair.

Here's a video showing all of these pens.

In a writing group Wednesday evening, my group all decided to write about pens. We had only a few minutes to write and I love each piece of writing. I am going to share them here... 




This one is mine...


21 comments:

  1. I'm with you, Michelle. I'm very particular about the kind of pen I use, but I never thought about it as an extension of myself or my thoughts. Love your ode!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Weird obsessions are what define us, right? I had to give up on my particular pen needs because my husband just couldn't leave the good pens alone. My marriage was more important than the pens. ;) I'm with you on the mechanical pencils. I can't stand them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad there is another person like me!!! I too, have buffer pens. The ones I use are in my pen case. Even my students know not to touch them no matter what! I have lots off pens, but I have never seen the one next to your notebook in the picture. What kind is it? I like its narrow tip! Happy writing today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the Staedtler. HIGHLY recommend!!! They sell them everywhere. You will LOVE them! And I love that you have buffer pens too. We are kindred spirits!!!!!

      Delete
  4. Yes! Funny, I feel this way about mechanical pencils. :) This post is playful and joyful! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love the ode ... my middle son went through a phase (still lingering) of wanting all sorts of pens, from hotel pens to expensive ones from Staples ... I wonder if Pen Lust will still linger even in the digital age? I suspect so. The other morning, I walked into school and saw a younger student working with a teacher on reading, and she had gone to the copy machine. He (I don't know him) grabbed me and pulled me into the room, and showed off his new "quill pen" and boy, was he excited!
    :0
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that ode! We were required to write with the old fashioned nibbed pens in school - those were my all time favorite. What a cool video, Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Who would have thought pens would inspire so much writing! The other night I was at a basketball game and my my students were getting ready to play the next game. They came running up to me asked, Mrs. Eck do you have a Sharpie? I laughed and said Of course I do. I am a teacher! And out I pulled my pencil pouch. they were shocked that I had all those pens, pencils, and markers in my purse. We do attached!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now you know you've got it when you have "buffer" pens. I love love love this! Pens make their way to my happy place too. Have to say my heart went all a flutter watching your video.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had to smile as I read your post. My wife has the exact same addiction. Nothing makes her happier than a new pen. A trip to staples isn't complete without a walk through the pen section.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Buffer pens! I love it! And I understand. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is hilarious! I have my pen cup that holds all my treasures and each one has a printed label. I would say that it was worth the time and effort because they have stuck around for the whole school year so far. That NEVER happens...What a great idea to write all about pens. The variety of writing is amazing and humorous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is great! I need to check out those brands. Katherine Sokolowski wrote about her love of pens on one of her blog posts. I wish I did more writing and doodling in a notebook. I seem to draft mostly on the computer. I can never seem to find pens I like. I need to experiment now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You definitely brought smiles to my face. I love the idea of buffer pens. You have me wondering if I should branch out to colors. I had a friend in high school who used colors for note taking just to be fun. No secret coding involved. I think having colors would liven up my writing time too. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. OH MICHELLE You are a woman after my own heart. I laughed at the buffer pens. I have them too. I even hide my "good" pens when I have a sub, so they can't use them. I once made my husband go back into a restaurant because he left a "good" pen with the waitress.

    For the record. I love Flair pens for grading and keeping lists. Uniball Signo (medium point) for writing in my notebook and lesson plans. Really nice pencils also make great list writers

    Geez. I'm going to have to write a blog post....

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your pen obsession cracks me up! The story of you going to another table to find a pen for someone else...LOL! Hey, by the way, I tried to insert a Nutshell today, too. Why won't mine work right? Is there a secret way to share on a blog? Let me know, I want to try more of them. So much fun! Me, the dinosaur, learning new technology. Who would have thought?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I also have an addiction to pens:) There are times when I go somewhere like Staples or Office Depot and I can't get out of the pen aisle. When I find a pen that I like, I have to buy multiples. I think that my pen addiction has rubbed off on some of my students, too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. We might be writing soul mates. It is all about the pens. I hope that in this digital world my kids also will continue to be pen appreciators. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I could not wait to read your post tonight. I LOVE THE IDEA OF LEADING US INTO YOUR POST by a glimpse the night before! You are certainly a writing pen guru!

    ReplyDelete
  19. ahhh, pens. One of the more secret addictions teachers have. Thanks for your humor in it all. I'm jealous of your writing group! The idea is fabulous, and you've inspired me to consider starting one with my fellow coaches and teachers!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Michelle, I have a thing for pens, too! All office supplies actually. But my truest love is pens. It has to feel right in my hand; it has to be the perfect weight and the perfect length. And I can tell with one small scribble whether I like the way it writes or not.

    But never, in all my days, have I thought of carrying a buffer pen!! You can bet your bottom dollar I will now!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. I love comments!