Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Places to Write...Day 3

Today is my 3rd slice for the 
March Slice of Life Challenge 


Writing is a discipline. It takes focus and attention. I've set up a lovely office with lots of space to write, pens, notebooks, and my computer. I even copied Cynthia Lord and put up twinkle lights! 

I live alone...well ok, I live with my dog Bella. I have an organized space, I have supplies, I have quiet and yet, there are times when I need to leave to write.

Sundays afternoons are my time to write away from my home. I've found some great places, so I thought I'd share some of my favorites...

1. Wegmans. That's a grocery store that's a few miles from my home. There's an upstairs with seating and a food court. I'll grab lunch and find a quiet spot and settle in. (If I can't find a quiet spot, I follow Kate Messner's advice and listen for good lines to include in my writing.)

2. Panera. I prefer Panera during quieter times, but I can walk to Panera from where I live, so it's convenient. My favorite indulgence is the creamy and decadent macaroni & cheese. I feel like it really makes my writing better. 

3. The bench by the fountains. In the warmer weather, I love to grab my notebook and sit on the bench by three giant fountains. There's a main road in front of the fountains, so it isn't silent...but the water is soothing and I love sitting there. 

4. Exploring new places and writing. On Saturdays in the spring and summer, I love getting into my car and driving to a place I've never been with my trusty notebook and maybe my iPad. Some of my best writing spots have included Annapolis, MD and Shepherdstown, WV and Great Falls Park in Virginia. Even a rest stop on route 81 on my way to the Green Valley Book Fair worked for me last spring!

New places bring new life to my writing. Where do you like to write? 

P.S. I wish I had pictures of these places...I'll be sure to start taking pictures to record these places. 

20 comments:

  1. You do the coolest things!
    What wonderful writing spots you have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your live traffic feed is so neat!
      It shows me as Highfield, New Brunswick when I visit. I only know Highfield as a street name. I'm actually in Moncton or more specifically, Gallagher Ridge, but it is great that you can see someone from Canada enjoying your blog too!
      Wow! I see Australia as well!
      Your blog is such a wonderful place to visit!

      Delete
  2. You must be someone who needs background noise to concentrate. Wegman's, Panera, the fountain,...Reading your piece gave me lots of ideas about where NOT to write! Ha! Alas, I am someone who needs complete quiet to concentrate. Currently, my favorite spot to write is at the end of my dining room table with the late afternoon winter sun warming me as my dog lies at my feet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you think. I normally write in my lovely little office at home but then I'd have to drive 30-0 minutes to get to Paneras or a park! I guess we find what we need - and need what we find - to write!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy sitting at Panera and just watching and listening to the people. It is a place full of ideas! I am a little envious as I don't have a specific place to write at home (unless you count my chair). Maybe there is a table/desk on my shopping list.......and of course, a comfortable chair. So wonderful to get a glimpse of your writing places.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of finding places to write. In my writing project days, we would hold writing marathons and go from place to place in New Orleans and write and share and drink and eat. All good. Maybe we could plan a writing marathon day together. Even virtual would be cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!!!! I LOVE writing marathons. We HAVE to do one...IRL or virtual!!! YES!!!

      Delete
  6. I love to write in different places because I feel I use different parts of my brain and therefore create different kinds of writing. Thank you for the reminder to try a new place!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great idea for a slice! It reminds me of Kwame Alexander telling us his favorite place to write after winning the Newbery (not at home - at Panera!). The photo of your writing space at home is so cozy and inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your office space. I'm slowly taking over the dining room table as a writing space. This is a great inspiration piece! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So many awesome places you have found to write, Michelle! (And yes, the mac & cheese definitely helps!) During the summer, I like to go down to the farmers' market in town and sit by the fountain and write. If nothing else, there is some awesome people watching going on! I also love your writing space...so many cool pens! :)

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the places you write and the idea of making it a purpose to find and cherish those places. Wegman's sound particularly appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've chosen great places to write...and people watch (i.e. get ideas to write), Michelle. The thing is, you are open to writing everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You've chosen great places to write...and people watch (i.e. get ideas to write), Michelle. The thing is, you are open to writing everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My house feels a little crowded these days, so I've been thinking about where I'll go to write this summer. I do plan to update a special spot in my home, and I imagine looking at the mountains when I write. Maybe I'll start carting a notebook w/ me when I ride my bike and take writing breaks. Have you read Kwame Alexander's Facebook posts about writing at Panera. Wish we had one here.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your writing space and all of the neat places you go to write. One place I went to write along with our local Writing Project fellows was Hershey Gardens. can't think of a more beautiful and inspirational place to be.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love going out to write too. The last time I was writing in Starbucks I ran into a student I'd had years and years ago. She was getting a coffee before her wedding rehearsal! I like to write at Panera (love the 1/2 sandwich soup combo) and at the public library. Sometimes parking lots are a make-do writing spot too when I have to wait for someone to get out of school or practice. Good idea, Michelle--all the places we can write!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Not that I want my daughter to leave home any time soon...BUT I have claimed her room as my future office! I need a space and our bedroom is just too small.

    ReplyDelete
  17. All those places sound familiar to me ..because apparently I live right down the road from you - in Ashburn! Small world. I would people watch in all those places mentioned, but I'd have to come home to the quiet to actually write. I'd never look down long enough to write -- too much going on!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this idea for a Slice! I also love that the Great Falls is on your list. I love to go there to hike, but next time must remember to bring my notebook! (P.S. Green Valley Book Fair is AWESOME!)

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. I love comments!