Friday, March 6, 2015

Uh-oh!


Today is my 6th  slice for the 
March Slice of Life Challenge 


It's too early for this. It's only the SIXTH day of this challenge. It's not writer's block. It's not that I don't have anything to write about...it's that I don't like anything I'm writing. I've started and stopped three posts before this one. (Just so you know, I'm publishing this one...even if it STINKS!) 

Today, nothing sounds right. I'm not pleased with anything I have to say...but I'm showing up. I'm here. That's something I need to do. Today is snow day number twelve. I'm hunkered down with my dog snuggled in blankets and shoveling out from all of the snow... dreaming of the beach. Yesterday when I was shoveling, I was blasting beach music...Jimmy Buffet.

I've discovered that a break in routine once in awhile is terrific! It's new and fun and exciting! Too many breaks and I struggle with that. I stress and find it difficult to relax. So on snow day number twelve (and we don't have to make these up, we have FIFTEEN built into our schedule) I will find ways to celebrate my un-routine today!

YAY! I wrote. It's not pretty. It's not earth shattering or brilliant. It's here. I'm here. Show up...it's worth it! 

11 comments:

  1. Kudos to you for getting the words on the paper! It's a good lesson to share with our students--not all of our writing will be "earth shattering or brilliant." You've kept the flow going, that's what's important. Enjoy your day off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so lucky you don't have to make up your snow days! We only have 5 built into our schedule, and we've had 9, so that's 4 less days of summer.:-( I'm glad you showed up today!! I read a post from one slicer who said it is inevitable that at least one of her posts during the month would be about having nothing to write.;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's days like these that help us connect with our students when they have writer's block. My students are always relieved to hear that I have lots of days when I click the delete button a million times before I get anything actually written. And now I'm going to stop grumbling about the two snow days we just had. Twelve!!!! Yikes. ~ Jen and Darla

    ReplyDelete
  4. beach music while shoveling yesterday during that beautiful snow fall!? That has to be against the law on SOME LEVEL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Applause for Jimmy Buffett, applause for snuggling with the pup, applause for writer's block because it still turns out to be a great post! I too am going stir crazy w/o my routine days, but Spring has to be around the corner...right?! I'm glad you posted! It keeps me going too! Thanks for all of the amazing inspiration, you are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Who doesn't have days like this. I know I will have several before this month is over. As we tell our students, sometimes it is not important what you write just as long as you write.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 12 days of snow is a lot. I can see how you would be worried about returning to routines, Michelle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you showed up. Wow, so many snow days. We don't have any built in so the thought of 15 is mind boggling.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that you wrote that you showed up. That's what makes you a writer... showing up even when you don't wanna.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow I can't imagine 12 snow days. I can just see you shoveling snow to Jimmy Buffet! Funny!

    ReplyDelete
  11. 12? Arg! We are up to six, I think. The sun is finally shining and the snow is finally melting here. Thanks for showing up! Jennifer Sniadecki

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. I love comments!