Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Writing is Thinking


Today is my 17th slice for the 
March Slice of Life Challenge on Two Writing Teachers.


Do you ever have days when your mind is spinning? I'm having lots of days like that lately. I'm thinking about...so much....and I don't know where to start. I have two other blog posts open and started, but nothing's making sense. I need time. Time to write and figure it out. That's what I do. When there's something in my life that I can't figure out...I write. When I am struggling with a problem...I write. When I feel hurt or alone...I write. When I want to celebrate and cheer...I write.

What am I thinking about, you wonder? Hmmm....kindness, listening to each other, living in love, compassion, social media, right vs. wrong, gossip, megaphones, making choices, being thoughtful, considering before writing, friends, "friends", how fast the world is changing...

That probably doesn't make sense...but it's like a glimpse into my brain. I needed to write a blog post for today and I can't finish what I've started...I need DAYS to do that...and I can't move past it, so you get a brain dump. I'll continue to write to think about these topics and what I have to say about them.

How do you think?

12 comments:

  1. Sounds like there are just too many things swirling in your mind for the words to set. I have such a post living in my mind....but it will take several drafts before it ever - IF ever - gets published. Some thing are meant to live in my head I figure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with you. Writing is what settles me down, though, and allows me time to think and make sense of the chaos.
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Writing certainly helps clear my head. I like the friends and "friends" part. Megaphones has me curious, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Writing is organizing chaos inside my brain. Sometimes this organization takes a little longer than at other times. Maybe that is why I have had to go back to my post twice this morning to add something (including an idea from your post).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have thoughts swirling all the time, Michelle, and when I ask my students what's going on in their minds, they usually can say two or three things. Now you've made me want to ask them if writing helps the focus. I've found that if they doodle while I read aloud, they listen better. Thanks for sharing the musing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can relate to what you are saying. Sometimes I just need to write things out to make sense of what goes on in my head. Many of the things on your thought list seem like they could be on anyyone's list. But megaphone?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your thoughts have a thread running though that I can feel. It's like a river. Rushing past. I do the same. Writing helps me find things. Usually more to think about. I often get to a place I didn't imagine. If nothing else writing settles me.
    P.S. I am so impressed you have multiple blog posts open!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How do I think? Much like you do, I guess. In a stream of consciousness... in a jumble.... until I write. It wasn't always like this for me. But I'm glad it is now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I find keeping a page of just "seed ideas" helps me make sense of my jumble. At least it gets all the swirling ideas out of my head and on paper (digitally at least) So I can go back and choose one to write later.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it's something about March - my head is spinning, too - and I can't say that I feel I accomplish much these days, either.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think it's something about March - my head is spinning, too - and I can't say that I feel I accomplish much these days, either.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think brain dumps are good. I have to admit I am very curious about the megaphone. I suggest that as a slice!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. I love comments!