Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Fly

April is poetry month. This month I will be crafting and sharing original poems. Often, these poems will be messy and early drafts. Many of use are sharing our poems on twitter using the hashtag, #digipoetry. We hope you join us!


To begin the month I wrote a poem inspired by my OLW for this year. I have wanted to write a poem using my OLW for a while. This is a very quick draft! I (mostly) like how it came out. 


I stand
on the branch
waiting,
looking,
hoping...

for the 
Perfect conditions:
bright sky
warm air
peaceful silence

and then,
then I will
FLY...

Clouds invade
The chill refuses to leave
Noise...
so much noise!
No FLYing today.

I return 
the next day...
I stand
on the branch
waiting...

Clouds still here
Chill biting and growling
Noise, so loud...
but something's different

I realize
conditions will
Never be perfect
for me to FLY.

Me. 
Decide.
Clouds offer 
protection from the 
hot sun,
Chill invigorates and
cools when things get too hot,
Noise...

I leap
I FLY and the
Noise disappears
it was all in my 
head.

©Michelle Haseltine, 2015
All rights reserved. 

14 comments:

  1. Michele,
    Your poem is so beautiful . . . it is truly all about "mindset"! What will be gained from "waiting"? What will happen if "just try"?

    AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this poem also shows we have to be resilient and we have to keep trying, because you a are right - conditions will never be perfect. It is through trying when we actually fly. Great job. I will have to play around with Turn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I nominated you for the One Lovely Blog Award! Check out the post here: http://allstarmusicva.blogspot.com/2015/04/one-lovely-blog-award.html ~Molly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful start to your Digipoetry journey, Michelle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love seeing that 'turn' in your decision. It's never the right time, must always just 'fly'. Love the metaphor of 'noise', Michelle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So true. Your poem says it well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so true. Flying takes courage. Maybe it's time for another Reach poem for me. Thanks for the inspiration. And thanks for promoting #digipoetry. Happy April!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your work is beautiful. Lovely as in "One Lovely Blog." The picture is perfect and the words inspirational. So glad you are flying!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This reminds me of my post yesterday about deliberate optimism! It's all on how you look at things.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I could truly connect to your poem. This is pretty much how I feel before I go out for a long run. In the end, there are no regrets!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed the way I could read your poem and consider being a bird ready to take flight --- or as you likely intended, consider the way we all feel when we are trying something new. I really enjoyed the beginning...waiting, looking, hoping.

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this! Talk about looking at the glass as half full! Wow! We have been working on growth mindset all year with our middle schoolers. I think this would be so perfect to share with them! Would that be ok?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that you wrote a poem about your OLW. May have to test that out too. Love that line: "waiting, hoping, wishing for ... perfect conditions." If we waited ... we'll never fly, always an excuse, right? Love your mindset and you can fly!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. I love comments!