Saturday, June 6, 2015

Celebrating Endings and New Beginnings!

Thank you Ruth for inspiring me to always look for the celebrations in life! 



This week was filled with celebrations and reflection. There was a lot of looking back at what was...and lots of dreams for the future and what could be!

A highlight of this week was a girls night out to meet Glennon Doyle Melton. A few weeks ago, my friend Jessica surprised me with tickets to meet her. Wednesday night we traveled with a couple of other friends, to a beautiful church in a nearby town and anxiously waited for the evening to begin...


She spoke from the heart. She spoke with humor. She touched every soul in that church! I really listened to what she had to say about writing... (Here are some of my very messy notes!)

When the talk was over, we got to MEET her! Her sister took these pictures...



Getting to meet someone that I admire is such a gift! I've been processing this all week and I'm looking forward to seeing where this will nudge me...

The next evening was spent celebrating the amazing THIRTY year career of an amazing teacher! Her retirement party was lovingly organized by my friend, Jessica. We celebrated with burgers and good friends and fond memories...a beautiful way to say goodbye!

Students started working on their written reflections of this year. We talk a lot about the year and prepare for this final reflection. Their thoughts always surprise me and make me smile. I'm so grateful for the opportunity to spend sixth grade with these amazing people! Here is one answer from the reflection that brought tears to my eyes...

I continue to look ahead at more possible new beginnings as the summer months approach quickly. Taking time to celebrate amidst all of the chaos is important. What do you celebrate today?  

18 comments:

  1. What wonderful celebrations - that student reflection is pretty precious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle,
    There is so much about this post that I want to reflect on. Your notes from Glennon are wonderful. The words regarding truth telling and checking shame levels are particularly powerful. Your students, friends and colleagues reflect back on you in such a lovely way. That is an outgrowth of you and your light!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle, this week's celebrations were so amazing for you, especially meeting your personal hero. This note stood out for me: laughter is proof of hope. There needs to be more laughter in our lives. Havea great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you know how bright and pretty your smile is? I hope you get a good rest this weekend and next week brings many positive surprises.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Your comment made my day! Thank you for your kind words and your kind wishes!!

      Delete
  5. I tried to write a comment earlier on my phone and it's not here. Oh well, I think I said something about those photos of you with Glennon. I can see in your face how much you admire her and how she returned your love with an embrace. Special, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting again! Having some trouble with comments disappearing today.

      Delete
  6. So glad you stopped to celebrate amid the chaos. That reflection from your student should be framed! And the pics of meeting your personal hero - gorgeous! I love spending retirement time in 6th grade through your posts. Michelle, are you going to the All Write conference?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ramona! I'm not going to All Write. It sounds like it's an amazing opportunity!

      Delete
  7. What great celebrations from such special areas of your life...teaching, students, mentors! Hope your summer gets off to a great start!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many reasons to celebrate! I love the words from your student!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want to know more about the bathroom floor God!

    ReplyDelete
  10. There is SO much I could comment on about your BUSY and WONDERFUL week....but I will focus on just your meeting Glennon Doyle. WOW She is certainly a woman of great strength and character. I'd love to hear more about her "bathroom floor" comment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She wrote a book about her life and her faith and family. It starts when she found herself on the bathroom floor, hungover, and discovered she was pregnant. She said that she thinks God LOVES us so much when we find ourselves on the bathroom floor! I highly recommend her book, Carry On, Warrior!

      Delete
  11. Love that student reflection, too - it made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a sweet, sweet note from your student. Save that forever!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It sounds like a week filled with emotions and blessings. Thanks for sharing your joys.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy for you! What celebrations!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. I love comments!