Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Reflecting


Thank you to Stacey, Betsy, Dana, Tara, Beth, & Anna for this amazing platform to write and share writing! What a wonderful community you've created! I'm honored to be part of it. Join us at Two Writing Teachers



It's Tuesday? Already?!?! We have eleven days left of school. The end is exciting and sad. Yesterday rising sixth graders came to school to visit. Eighth graders take them on tours and sometimes they stop in the classroom. They look so small, unsure, and nervous. I asked my current sixth graders who came into my classroom last year, and many raised their hands. We talk about their impressions and feelings when they were on that tour last year. It's a full circle moment for them because now they are the "big kids". That lead us into a conversation about then and now. That starts me thinking about where I’ll be next year and how quickly time moves and how grateful I am that I get to witness these amazing students grow and learn and change.

10 comments:

  1. The end of the year always reminds us of how far we have taken our students. We can't necessarily see this growth from day to day, but when we look at a whole year, it is amazing! You will help them FLY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Full circle. You have led your students on a fine journey. Time to sit back, take it all in, and relax. Job well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lately as the end of the school year approaches, have been focusing on all I hadn't done. But your post reminds me to also celebrate all that has occurred in a year. Thanks for some perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet times to ask those 'big kids' their thoughts about last year's tours. And how nice that the newbies get a glimpse of what's to come. Even in our little school it's a big step to move into the older classes. Have a great rest of the week, Michelle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a bittersweet time for all. I'm sad to see your kiddos go too. They have done such lovely work But, to have the new crop visit has to lift your spirits just a bit. It's such a big step going to middle school, these littler kiddos are so lucky to have you there. Enjoy your week. These last few days will "fly" by!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so right, Michelle - we do come full circle in the course of just a year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Michelle, I love watching the passage of time. Exploration trips to another building allow for students to prepare for the transition. Your students must be proud of the work you encouraged them to do this year. I hear the sound of success in your post. Let the children "fly" to the next phase.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is so important that we take the time to slow down and reflect at this time of year. We worry that in the rush to get it all done we can miss the small moments. Thanks for the reminder.
    Clare and Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had a student tell another teacher, "Mrs. Sni is a good teacher. I should have listened more during the year." Aw. I feel like if she listens even for a few days, she will grow to be a great reader, student, and person! Make them FLY! Have a wonderful last few days! Jennifer Sniadecki

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahhh, yes, the visit to the next grade. I always enjoyed watching these normally confident kids become rather wide-eyed at the prospect of a new classroom. Amusing. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. I love comments!