Saturday, January 9, 2016

Hopes & Dreams

Thank you to Ruth Ayres for providing this space to share our celebrations. Please join us and share your own!


Let me begin this post by saying that money isn't everything. I know that. I believe that. Money doesn't bring joy or happiness. It doesn't solve problems...so why am I talking about money? The lottery. A couple of days ago I received an email at work asking, "Want to participate in a school-wide chance to win and split 600,000,000?" 
I ignored it and continued on with my day. At the end of the school day, I walked into the hall and felt an electricity, a new energy. I watched teachers and staff run down the hall with two dollars in their hand. 

I followed the crowd. I watched. I noticed. People were paying money to be part of this chance. I listened. I wondered.

I noticed people smiling, talking about what they would do with the winnings. I heard optimism...anticipation...hope. I'm in. I want to be part of this. After I paid my two dollars, I felt excited. This could happen. At lunch on Friday, the conversation revolved around what we would do with the winnings.

Pay off student loans.

Travel.
Buy a house.
Get take out lunch everyday.

The energy felt buoyant. Hopeful. The dreams started getting bigger and bigger and the hope exploded. The chances that we will win the lottery are...


It's not about the money. It's about the hope. The possibility. If there were no limits, what are your dreams? It occurred to me that we don't take time to dream.

In my dreams, I own a lovely beach cottage at the Outer Banks. I feel relaxed and at peace there. Other dreams are practical, pay off my car, save...I find I'm out of practice. DREAM! 


I'd love to attend writing and teaching conferences around the world. I'd really love to start my own school! Tuition free...the best teachers who love their students and their jobs...where we know our students and serve them! See how good I get at dreaming, once I have some more practice?!?!

When the lottery numbers are called Saturday night, no matter what they say, my dreams will continue. I celebrate the hope that this has awakened in me and so many and I celebrate dreams and hope. 

12 comments:

  1. Michelle, the power of hope generates so many positives in life. My husband and I were just speaking about the lottery before I read this. He also has hopes and dreams too. It is fun to wonder about what you could with all that money. His dreams: buy a small island in the Finger Lakes and build a super house. My thoughts: donate money to HELP Uganda so that our graduating class can all continue their education at the local tuition-based high school and give money to Memorial Sloan-Kettering for cancer research.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had the same conversation in the teacher's lounge on Friday. You're absolutely correct it is the power of hope and dreams. The community that comes together for a united cause. If I won, I think I would build al library in a rural town that didn't have one. Thanks for dreaming -now I am too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Celebrating dreaming and hoping- so wonderful. I wonder how many of us spent some time this week thinking about the what ifs and what would I do? I didn't buy a lottery ticket but it was interesting to see where my mind went as I pondered what I might do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lottery - probability or luck? Sometimes when your dreams are strong they will find a way to come true. Cheering to your hopes and dreams! Wishing luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this. You are right--it's not the money, it's the hope! And we all need a little something to dream about during the doldrums of January!.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the excitement that you all had at school. And I hope you will win. If it makes you really think about the hopes and dreams you have, it's worth all those two dollars. It certainly was all over the news last night. I guess I should buy at least one ticket, you never know! Thanks Michelle, for sharing such excitement about hopes and dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this: It's not about the money. It's about the hope. The possibility.
    Yes...and that is why we dream. I'd come work at your school, Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I threw money in with some others also. Who knows, but yeah, the excitement is fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can you believe no one won the lottery last night?? I you think this past week was electric, just wait! Keep dreaming!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are good at dreaming! And you are right. We don't spend that time dreaming. Too caught up in the have to dos. I'm not a fan of things like the lottery but if it brings a little bit of dreaming, hey, sign me up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. And sign me up for that school of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Celebrating by dreaming! Love this post. When you get that lovely beach cottage, you might find yourself surrounded by blogging friends. Here's to hope and dreams!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. I love comments!