Wednesday, March 9, 2016

An Ordinary Tuesday

Thank you to Stacey, Betsy, Dana, Tara, Beth, Anna, Kathleen & Deb for this amazing platform to write and share writing! What a wonderful community you've created! I'm honored to be part of it. Join us at Two Writing Teachers.

It was an ordinary Tuesday, 


except for...
the chat on google hangout during last block
a student cadet AND a student teacher helping out during first block
a friend and her son popping in during a walk to say hello
an email from the superintendent 
a phone call from my niece
Amazon delivery
a friend quoting me on twitter
it hit seventy degrees 
finding out that Doug Flutie will be competing on Dancing with the Stars

This is what I love about being a writer. Days like this would normally pass with no fanfare. Ordinary. Normal. When I sit down to write, those ordinary moments become the juicy moments of my life.

Today I was talking with friends about slicing. We were sharing about all things "slicing". When one friend expressed concern about being good enough, I said, Show up and tell your story. That's why we are all here. We each have stories to tell. Our stories, like life, are messy and sometimes sad, other times joyful, and at times dull...but they are our stories and it's our job to share the messy with the world. 






14 comments:

  1. YES Michelle!!! Awesome post...loving how you captured all the tiny moments from your day. It is a fantastic reminder to pay attention to all those tiny moments...every day! I am going to try this more often and maybe write about it! So glad we share similar writing rituals and I am grateful for our new friendship!
    -Dana :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle, I always enjoy reading your posts and today's is especially fabulous! My favorite line is :"When I sit down to write, those ordinary moments become the juicy moments of my life." As usual, you got right to the heart of the matter. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Show up and tell your story indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Show up and tell your story." Perfect advice! So glad you had a great Tuesday! Wishing you many wonderful surprises today as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When we tell our story, our ordinary lives become extraordinary and we make connections that drive us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the random list of your ordinary day. And the last one made me laugh!! I especially love the final image. You and I think so much alike. I even named my blog My Writing Stories That Only I Can Tell!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. No such thing as ordinary, when you write. Great reflection on the "juicy" and "messy" stories of life. We all benefit from those who show up and tell about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that "show up and tell your story", Michelle. Even after all this time, I get caught up in the questions: "is this okay, did I write it right", or "what in the world can I write today?" I love the list, each little bit a joy of a moment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved the glimpse into your daily life!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Collecting the snippets of life, paying careful attention, recording to remember. Showing up and sharing, listening to the comments, gives a new perspective, adds thoughts and makes feel good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this. Sometimes I worry that my slices just aren't...enough. I love this reminder that all we must do is show up and share our story.

    ReplyDelete
  12. YES YES! Show up and tell your story! You preach it, sister!!! :) Being a new 'slicer' I also feel the same way as your friend does. It's hard to think that we have anything to write about that other's want to read. It's been so amazing to read about other people and the things that they do each day, and then inspires me to do the same. I LOVE the instagram photo you shared at the beginning of your post. What a beautiful way to start your ordinary "Tuesday".... that turned into something extraordinary! Thanks for the reminder on showing up and writing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great picture. I need to remind myself to "show up" and tell my story more often. I often think about the journals of writers we devour to find out more about their lives -- and I'm leaving nothing to my future children if I don't write it down, too. Great reminder, and great meme!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great picture. I need to remind myself to "show up" and tell my story more often. I often think about the journals of writers we devour to find out more about their lives -- and I'm leaving nothing to my future children if I don't write it down, too. Great reminder, and great meme!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. I love comments!