Thursday, March 10, 2016

Can a Haircut Change Your Life? YES!

Thank you to Stacey, Betsy, Dana, Tara, Beth, Anna, Kathleen & Deb for this amazing platform to write and share writing! What a wonderful community you've created! I'm honored to be part of it. Join us at Two Writing Teachers.

I got my hair cut. Inspired by Stacey's post, I searched for a local salon that had a stylist that performed the "curly cuts"...otherwise known as the Deva cut. Yelp directed me to the Michael Helene Salon. There were lots of great reviews and it's close. I called on Wednesday to make an appointment, hoping to go during spring break. As luck would have it, there was a cancellation for an appointment on the SAME DAY!
 

I arrived and was greeted by the friendliest two women at the receptionist desk. I filled out a two page questionnaire and started to worry and thought that this seemed like such a fancy place. I don't belong at a fancy salon. The worry disappeared immediately when I realized how sweet and welcoming everyone was. I felt like they were happy I was there.

Lauren greeted me and we started to talk. She asked me why I was there and I explained the whole story. I love my hair, but I know I've never had the right cut. I explained how my friend Stacey has the most beautiful curls and she recommended this cut. Lauren listened. Sometimes she asked a question, but she mostly listened.

She made some recommendations. We talked about my hair. She knows her hair. With each syllable she uttered, I knew I was in good hands. Sam, her assistant, was there and so funny and helpful. (Plus she wore the coolest purple lipstick!)

During the cut, which is a dry cut, we talked. Lauren and Sam are so personable, it made the time fly! Lauren explained every step of washing and conditioning and setting and styling my curls. When she was setting them, she was squishing my hair and it made a squishy sound. I never knew my hair sounded so fun. Sam told me that it's the sound of "happy hair".   

I asked lots of questions, a sign I'm comfortable, and she explained clearly.  I think she noticed my eyes glaze over because as Sam was setting my curls I noticed she was writing something. She wrote out instructions for me. Oh my goodness, she knows me so well!

Weeks ago when I'd started asking Stacey questions about this cut, she'd said, "It's life changing." Oh my goodness, IT IS! My hair feels different. I feel different. I'm scared that I won't be able to recreate this, but I have my trusty instructions, new products, and the phone number to the salon.

You know it's a good haircut when you make an appointment to return. I'll be back in May. Thank you Lauren! Thank you Sam! You treated me with such kindness and respect. You taught me so much about my hair and products and how to love my curls. Life changing, indeed!



24 comments:

  1. You look beautiful! I love it. I got my own curly cut for the first time in January and it really has been life changing to see the hair that felt like unstylable frizz become the bouncy twirly curls they always were! Styling is actually not hard at all. You can do it! Enjoy your new beautiful curls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing! Thanks for posting this. It's true - the right haircut, the right outfit - can truly change our mood, our confidence and our perceptions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look gorgeous, darling!!! I love how you relayed the story to us...each step of the way showing us exactly what was happening in the salon! I felt like I was there with you! Enjoy the new do!
    -Dana :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everyone approaches a new salon with trepidation, but it sounds and looks like you found a winner. Enjoy the new cut. It's very flattering.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful!! And what the experience it was.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was thinking I needed a "chop off all my curls" hair cut over spring break. I'm fed up with the curls lately could be because I've been fighting with them to straighten them instead of going with the flow. Maybe I need a little more squishy hair in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great post, Michelle! Your smile is radiant and the hair looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Michelle!! I am so glad that you like your new cut and that you had a great experience at my salon. As the owner, it is so important that our guests have this type of experience so I am always happy to read that our guests were treated so well. Lauren and Sam are truly special artists, in 17 years in this industry I have seen it all and I have to agree with you that they have talent that is hard to find. I am pretty picky about my staff and who I bring in, we train weekly and go to several large educational events each year to maintain our skill but the most important part is listening to people and helping them to not only look their best but to feel great when they leave and all the days after. At least until they come in and we do it all again, lol!
    If I can do anything for you please do not hesitate to email me. Mhsg2011@outlook.com
    Michael Helene

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cute!! Curly hair is hard to cut and style, and you definitely have to find someone who knows what they're doing. Obviously, that girl did, and I love the directions she gave you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Only someone with curly hair can truly appreciate this post. I fought and fought my curls...although they are not as tight as yours. But I know it can be pretty difficult to endure at times. I finally gave up the fight and just let it go. You look great! And how cool that the owner commented!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it! It took me years to find the right stylist for my (opposite problem), fine, thin, stick-straight hair. I have now followed her for 12 years, from salon to salon to salon... She's not allowed to retire.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You look stunning, Michelle! I hope you get lots of joy and happiness from your new curls.

    BTW: I love the tutorial your stylist wrote and drew for you. It's quite comprehensive. If you get into trouble, remember you can check out Deva's videos, https://www.youtube.com/user/DevaCurl/videos.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post, great haircut, and great new relationship! I have always wanted curly hair like yours (mine is straight, straight, straight).

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE it. It makes such a difference when you get up and like the way you look.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Michelle, your new look is beautiful! I think it was a good omen when the initials of the salon matched yours.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful experience and result. So sweet from the stylist to write the instructions. I think your hair felt the care and this made it happy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Now I need a granddaughter with curly hair. . . LOL! Thanks, Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You look lovely, Michelle - and happy, too. I need to research this hairstyle!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You look terrific, Michelle. My former neighbor and her daughters fought their curls, too, so I kind up know what you've tried to do. Stacey's advise then you're looking for the right place made it all work didn't It? I love that the salon owner commented!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Simply beautiful! What a great cut and style for you. I am so excited to hear about your experience. What a wonderful place to go to, and how exciting that you will now have it to go back to! Thanks for sharing your great hair cut adventure!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love it! Your curls look great! A great curly cut is definitely life changing! I am a curly girl too and the right cut and the right stylist make all the difference! I have been to many who have no idea how to cut a curly style. I found someone who can about 12 years ago and I will not let her go!! She opened her own place and I followed her. I even made sure I got her personal number during the transition so I didn't get lost in the shuffle!

    And it's funny that you got those directions...that's pretty much exactly what I do, but I came up with that all on my own through years of trial and error!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks like you've at long last found "your cut"! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you for sharing this slice of who you are and who you are becoming. Love it. I'm glad you included pictures, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Michelle, I am late to comment, but I had to send a note to say that I loved your story. Your curls are beautiful, and you look great! My favorite part is that you included a picture of the instructions that were written for you! Keep rocking your Deva curls!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. I love comments!