Friday, March 4, 2016

I Want to Write

Thank you to Stacey, Betsy, Dana, Tara, Beth, Anna, Kathleen & Deb for this amazing platform to write and share writing! What a wonderful community you've created! I'm honored to be part of it. Join us at Two Writing Teachers.



Friday. Only day four. How could I already need more ideas? I’m stumped. I guess, it isn’t that I don’t have ideas, but it’s more I don’t want to write about any of them. It reminds me of these words, “I hate writing, I love having written.” Dorothy Parker said that. Usually, I don’t agree...tonight I do.

I want to write about how tired I am. I want to write about the book I’m reading. (Honestly, I want to read the book I’m reading.) I want to write about going to the movies this weekend with my friends and watching American Idol on TV. I want to write about Bella and how she runs away whenever I start cooking. I want to write about how my niece wants to be a mermaid when she grows up. I want to write about how my nephew loves his tooth so much, he doesn’t want the tooth fairy to take it.

I want to write about how I love music and share all of my favorite songs. I want to write about struggling with elapsed time so much that it’s embarrassing. I want to write about Voxer and the great conversations going on over there. I want to write about my students and their successes. I want to write about my terribly boring lunches and how I can make them better. I want to write...

I want to write about all of these things and none of these things. I want to mention them and not explain. I want to calm the crazy in my brain. I want to find the quiet in my day. I want to finish this blog post. Hmmm, look! I just did!



20 comments:

  1. You sure did! I sometimes want to just write ideas without elaborating. This slice could also be fodder for so many future slices. What a favor you did yourself by getting it all down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great glimpse into all the tabs open in your mind Michelle. You can go and read now. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You sure did! A very clever slice, Michelle, even if you didn't feel like writing it. : ) Happy Friday!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In March, I like to keep a running list in my writing notebook. This gives me things to write about when I don't have ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This list tells us so much about who you are. Let's have a Voxer chat. I miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the swirl of your ideas and emotions throughout your slice. So many times I feel that disconnect between wanting to write and not knowing what to settle on. You had the perfect solution!

    ReplyDelete
  7. And there you are. Just like that. And look at all the ideas you have in this post! That should keep you going for a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your post is inspiring me to write about some of those things as well. Happy writing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. And you did, and along the way you made my interest grow in all those topics you aren't explaining. You may not think it, but you just wrote a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Why does Bella run away when you are cooking?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK. That will be a future blog post, Michelle! :) Stay tuned!

      Delete
  11. Bella runs away when you cook? Yes, we need to know more about that. What other Voxer groups are you involved in? I love my Voxer, but I cannot keep up! Have a great weekend! Jennifer Sniadecki

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this I wanna post. And you did exactly what you wannaed to do:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. There are days when I look down at my computer and I have so many different apps, programs and documents open that it is a wonder how my computer even functions. To me, that is your brain writing post. Close them all, shut it down, and when you open it, you will have so many ideas to choose from. I know what you're thinking...if only it were that easy! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is supposed to say "that is your brain writing this post."

      Delete
  14. Looking forward to these slices Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, I think this is what Ruth calls a 'mind dump'! "I want to write about all of these things and none of these things." I know that feeling!! Sometimes you just have to let it all out to clear the way for more thinking and then writing. Doesn't it feel good? Hopefully it allowed you the opportunity to breathe and regain your focus for tomorrow. I wonder what spoke loudest to you and what you'll write about tomorrow. I'll be back to see! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. this is wonderful. Just being able to write down all the things running through your brain takes concentration that I often can't connect to. It also made me think of a book I just picked up by Sarah Ruhl, "100 Essays I Don't Have Time to Write." It consists of two- or three-page pieces, and I wonder if it resulted from a brain dump by Ruhl.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have been feeling sort of like this all week! Like I have a bunch ideas to write about but then haven't gotten to any of them! Maybe you'll get to one of them soon. Or maybe you've given an idea to someone else now!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  18. "I want to write about all of these things and none of these things." I can so relate to this! lots of possibilities, yet choosing just one is part of the slicing challenge!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. I love comments!