Thursday, March 3, 2016

Oh How I Love the Morning!

Thank you to Stacey, Betsy, Dana, Tara, Beth, Anna, Kathleen & Deb for this amazing platform to write and share writing! What a wonderful community you've created! I'm honored to be part of it. Join us at Two Writing Teachers.

"How you start your day is how you live your day. How you live your day is how you live your life." ~Louise Hay
Morning is the best way to begin the day. I’m an early bird. I like early mornings. I wake up early by myself, usually before the alarm goes off. There was a time in my life that I wasn’t like this...high school. In high school, I couldn’t drag myself out of bed. I would ignore my alarm. It was the only time that my parents struggled with getting me up and out to school. One day, my dad said, “Enough!”

I’d slept through my alarm, again, and he knocked on my door and did that “dad thing” and he yelled, “Michelle! Time to get uuuppp!”

I did the kid thing and mumbled, “...in a minute,” and I rolled back over and returned to my peaceful slumber.

This happened one more time. The next time he added, “If you aren’t up the next time I come into your room, I’m going to dump a bucket of ice cold water on you.” I heard my little sister giggling, so I pulled the covers over my head and mumbled something again.

Two minutes later, my bedroom door opened with a flourish. I was sleeping so I don’t remember much of this...all I remember is ice cubes bouncing off my forehead, followed by the whooshing of water all over me and my sister and mother laughing and laughing and laughing. My dad stood there calmly as I leapt out of bed screaming, “WHY DID YOU DO THAT?!?! I’M SOAKED! MY BED IS SO WET!!!”

He looked at me with a smirk and calmly repeated the same words, “Michelle, it’s time to get up.” I never overslept again!

17 comments:

  1. Well, I guess that was effective! I can just hear the giggling and imagine the shocked look on your face. Your dad's a man of his word! I think I might try digging through my memories for slices. Thanks for sharing a vivid scene from your childhood and for an idea of where to look for a future slice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle!!! I love this story from your high school days! What a riot! Really, your dad was hilarious in that moment! He represents every parent who doesn't want to tell their kid something "one more time!" I enjoyed reading this so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could picture it all! That could have been my sister under the covers- my parents tried everything with her over the years. How great that you could recall it all so well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do the same thing to my kids, except I use a spray bottle. : ) Our love of mornings (now that we are adults) is another way we are connected, Michelle. My mornings do make my days!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy crap that would have freaked me out. What a great story, especially now that I know more about you and your dad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh.My.Gosh! He didn't!!!! Well, this made me chuckle this morning. Now I can understand why you post your SOLs so early! Thanks for sharing. It's always a pleasure reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really didn't think he would actually do it. What a funny story! I love getting up early, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow- what a way to start a day. I've noticed from your posts before that you must be a morning person... but would not have guessed what got you started!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha! Bet you have laughed over that experience many times!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is truly "believe it or not" slice. Could be part of a longer story.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness! I would be livid!

    I am always so envious of your early morning posts about writing, walking Bella, and just enjoying your morning!

    One day I WILL be a morning person. But for now, I'm just a night owl!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, boy. I wrote about my slow mornings today. I think my mornings may look a little different if I had experienced this too! I can't believe he actually did it -- most threaten several times, but then ...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, I guess that is something to remember, and now you are an early bird. Guess high school really was just a phase. And high schoolers are growing, growing. They need to sleep. I sympathize. Now that I'm older, I wish I could sleep a little longer, but too many years of getting up early for work has cinched the habit. I still stay up late, do not really like the morning, but I start, & the coffee perks. Fun to hear that the threat of ice water actually has happened to someone.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this story!!! I don't consider myself a morning person, however lately I've been waking up several days a week to workout because if I don't then I will never get there. I find myself waking up before my alarm around 4:45 and also much earlier on the weekends, however I feel much better about it! I still can't believe that you had ice water dumped on you!!! What a way to start the day.
    Ana

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! It was the original ice bucket challenge, lol. My dad would have wanted me to get out of bed too but probably would have been too worried about ruining the bed and having to buy a new one because he's so cheap!

    Good for you for being a morning person. I'm sure you get so much done. I am not...and never will me. Luckily my children have embraced this as well. They either inherited my love for sleep or I imposed it on them long enough that it has become habit. Either way, we're a sleep in kind of family, and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm a morning person too. I know I can always find you if I do an early post. I don't mind late nights either as long as I get at least 7 hours of sleep. I love that your dad woke you up so creatively.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love it! I used to bounce my daughter's bed and yell "tornado", then came the high winds blowing and if she didn't start getting up, the rain would start....just a little spit with the blowing! Ugh.... She still laughs about it to this day! Thanks for the memory!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. I love comments!