Thursday, July 28, 2016

For Good

“So much of me
Is made of what I learned from you.
You'll be with me
Like a handprint on my heart.
And now whatever way our stories end
I know you have rewritten mine
By being my friend.”

-For Good Lyrics



My time with the Northern Virginia Writing Project's Invitational Summer Institute (#NVWPISI2016) has come to an end. Today we had the opportunity to spend the morning with the brilliant and talented Mark Farrington. He lead us in fiction writing, which is a struggle for me. There were so many tips and tricks that I had moments of feeling successful. I loved it and I am definitely going to attempt more fiction in my writing practice.

After Mark's presentation, I clumsily said goodbye to the group. Flustered, I forgot so much of what I wanted to say...I'll share it here.

To the teachers at the ISI: Thank you. I think it all comes down to thank you. It's an honor to spend time with teachers who are motivated and creative and funny and kind. It's a privilege to see some of you discover your voice, as a teacher, for the first time. Watching you write, listening to you share, and talking with you...every single moment sticks with me and I am a better teacher, writer, and person because of YOU.

Please know that even though I am not there in room 447 with you, I will always be there for you. I'm excited to see where this journey takes you! Enjoy your last days at the project. I'll be thinking of you as I write my morning pages by the ocean.

With love and respect!!!

This is a picture of a small gift I left with each of the teachers. I hope these find a home on a desk or next to a computer as the writing continues and they serve as reminders of our time together.

Why these phrases? We all struggled with calling ourselves a writer...I am a writer! We talked about sharing our writing without apologizing before we share it. It's not easy. Our motto, which has been a motto throughout the years is, "Read the crap." I'm looking forward to spending time with my family and continuing my writing practice.

2 comments:

  1. We will miss you! Let's plan out visiting days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morning pages by the ocean? Sounds wonderful! Enjoy every moment

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. I love comments!