Friday, March 3, 2017

It's the Small Things

It's the small things that can make a big difference. Yesterday, a friend bought a snack in a vending machine. When two snacks appeared, her face lit up and she said, "This made my day!" We have a wonderful custodian in our sixth-grade house and her name is Gloria. She always smiles. She works hard and she makes a big difference in my days here. As the classroom craziness and chaos ends, she quietly enters and says hello. Some days we chat, other days we don't, but she's always smiling.
When she cleans the bathrooms, she folds the toilet paper and paper towels into a triangular point. She does this every day. Every day that I see it, I smile. I feel special. It feels like I'm in a five-star hotel. She does this for the students too. Taking this extra moment to make us feel loved and special...it matters. She matters.
Pay attention to the small things. They matter.




Thank you to the Two Writing Teachers for this amazing platform to write and share writing! What a wonderful community you've created! I'm honored to be part of it. Join us at Two Writing Teachers.

19 comments:

  1. Custodians are special people. I've always made friends and held a special place for them in my heart. Gloria sounds extra special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Small things can make a big difference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can tell Gloria loves her job! Does she know how much her effort lights happiness in others? You should show her this post. It would make her day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so special Gloria takes the time to do this and it's special that you notice it too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, Gloria is a special lady. The toilet paper made me smile too! Here's to looking at the small things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, it is the small things - those things many others might not take the time to pay attention to - but those small things have the power to turn around big things when we notice! I'm glad you wrote to remind us all to notice and recognize that these efforts, while small, give evidence of a BIG heart!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Each person can make a difference in the world, and it seems that your Gloria knows that. I love that you wrote your appreciation of her and the small things, Michelle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Custodians are the saints of our school buildings, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  9. This shows me how important it is to be kind, even though it can be hard sometimes! Love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Indeed Michelle, small things and simple treasures are so important. It is vital that we all keep an eye out for such critical observances. You have provided a timely reminder in celebrating these considered actions.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, this is the purpose of March Slicing: To remind us all to slow down and notice the small but important moments and things in our lives. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aw I love this! I need to pay more attention to the little things when I'm lost in my busy life. She sounds like a wonderful person.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is something that would definitely make me smile too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was once told the two most important people to a teacher were the secretary and the custodian! But I have never had one that folds that toilet paper!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Custodians like Gloria are true treasures. I love the idea that the little things matter. If we all appreciated all the little things around us more often, how much more pleasant life would be.
    Thanks for this reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  16. "Our" Gloria just retired. Even though our new custodian, "Mr. M." is good, too, we miss her so much. Little things add up to something big!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Noticing the small gestures of others is important and the fact you documented with photos is just too cute. Enjoy Gloria and keep on writing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Custodians are the masters of little things. And it is a wonderful thing you noticed. They matter.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gloria sounds wonderful! What a blessing!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. I love comments!