Thursday, March 16, 2017

Podcasts

I believe I'm late to the game when it comes to podcasts. I tried a couple of years ago and failed. It felt like one more thing to keep track of and it was something that I felt comfortable letting go...until now.

In response to my blog post about authors, my friend Jennifer Laffin from Sweet Writing Life suggested I listen to a podcast called "Beautiful Writers". I'd heard of it, but I hadn't listened. With the gift of a second snow day, I decided to find the time and settle in to listen to two of my favorite writers, Glennon Doyle Melton and Anne Lamott, have a conversation. It's exactly what I said I wanted, to eavesdrop on them chatting. The podcast was a little over an hour long. I started listening as I was getting dressed, but I quickly realized that this was too important not to give my undivided attention. I grabbed my bag with my notebook and headphones and pens and headed to Wegmans. I found a spot and grabbed a drink, set up my headphones, took out my notebook and pressed play. I'm hooked. This experience was amazing. I took pages and pages and pages of notes. There was so much wisdom in this conversation and it was so relaxed.

Here are some of my notes. They are messy but I kept stopping and replaying parts of the podcast that I wanted to remember. There's so much GOOD stuff here...




Are all podcasts this good? Which are your favorites? I'm in. Now I need to find the time, but I have faith that I will. I feel so inspired and filled up after listening to these women share their thoughts and opinions. What are your go-to podcasts? When do you listen to them? Please leave suggestions in comments!


Thank you to the Two Writing Teachers for this amazing platform to write and share writing! What a wonderful community you've created! I'm honored to be part of it. Join us at Two Writing Teachers.

12 comments:

  1. Reading your notes really hit the spot for me this morning. Thank you for sharing. I'm teary from reading the God reminders in your notes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love podcasts, too! Some of my favorites: Stories from the Teaching Life with Penny Kittle (hasn't been updated this year but so good!), Revisionist History (Malcomb Gladwell), On Being with Krista Tippett, Modern Love, Serial, This American Life...these are just a few that I have enjoyed. I look forward to listening to the one you mentioned as Glennon & Anne are two of my favorites.

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew you would like it! Those are your girls. "Good Life Project" is another good podcast series to listen to. If you go back in his archives, he has had conversations with Brene Brown, Simon Sinek, and Glennon that are worth a listen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, those notes! I need to find the time to listen more. Mostly I listen to Ted Talks when I hear of someone I want to listen to more. That snow day (& Jennifer) gave you a big gift, didn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are so many podcasts that I've downloaded over the years and never listen to. I don't understand how people do it! I can't listen to audio books either. I can read print and ebooks all day every day, but audio versions don't give me the focus I need. Perhaps if I had a long commute it would work for me, but my five minute drive to work doesn't cut it. Maybe when I go to the gym I could listen to a podcast? It doesn't seem like it would motivate me to move very fast though.... When do people listen to podcasts?!!

    -Amanda at https://teachingwanderlust.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jennifer Saravallo has some great podcasts. They are short and sweet! I'd say they are typically less than 15 minutes long, so just right to listen to when am cleaning the bathroom. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've inspired me to get back on the podcast bandwagon... When I have listened ( sometimes to Fresh Air podcasts) it has often been in bed on Saturday morning with my notebook and a cup of coffee nearby.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know anything about podcasts, but looking at your notes, I think I should explore.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Michelle, I'm a podcast junkie! I love This American Life, Radio Lab, On Being, Freakonomics, The New Yorker podcasts on fiction, Snap Judgement, The Moth... I could go on and on. A new favorite is Story Pirates. They take kid fiction and dramatize it. So glad you've discovered this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Podcasts are terrific. They (and audiobooks) get me through all my household chores. "Beautiful Writers" is new to me, but sounds amazing. Julieanne's list is similar to mine; I also like The Ted Radio Hour. Thanks for sharing, Michelle! Happy listening!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love podcasts too and subscribe to a lot of Gimlet podcasts along with others that have been recommended here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. If you like Elizabeth Gilbert, you will probably like her podcast! I'm not sure there are new episodes anymore, but she had two seasons. It's called Magic Lessons. I also love Happier by Gretchen Rubin, Dear Sugar by Cheryl Strayed, and the Nerdy Bookcast.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. I love comments!