Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Reading Moments

I love to read! Books introduce me to people I'd never meet. Books transport me to places I'd never go. I know this is cliché, but reading is magical. I have books that have created moments in my life. Those books are rare and special. I hold those books close to my heart. Sometimes, the book that can create a moment for me is unexpected and surprising, but these moments stay with me. These moments help create the person I am. I'm reminded of these books because I received a new book that has potential to provide me with a moment. "The Inexplicable Logic of My Life" is a new book by a beloved author, Benjamin Alire Sáenz. This writer has the ability to make the reader care deeply about the characters immediately. I have no idea how he builds that trust so quickly, but I'm hooked!

I first discovered Sáenz from his award-winning novel, "Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe". Oh, this book! Ari and Dante became so dear to me and I devoured this book. I read it three times! The moment that I connect with this book is being in the car listening to the end and having tears stream down my face. The beauty of the language and the poignancy of the story...I didn't want it to end. I ached for these two characters to be real and be friends with me.

This lead me to find "Last Night I Sang to the Monster". The story told here is hard to read, but again, I cared about the characters. The moment I carry with me for this book is sitting on my couch and sobbing. I had to put the book down several times, and cry, before picking it back up and continuing to read. It touched something so deep in me.

I'm hoping to have a moment with this new story. As I began reading, I've already forgotten to breathe and I've already gasped aloud. The moment is coming, I know it.
Time to read! What are some books that have created memorable moments for you?

Thank you to the Two Writing Teachers for this amazing platform to write and share writing! What a wonderful community you've created! I'm honored to be part of it. Join us at Two Writing Teachers.

6 comments:

  1. I can really relate to this Michelle. I love to read for the same reasons. I don't know any of the books you mention and am excited to go find them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to have to swing by Amazon and throw this in my cart. It sounds simply amazing! Thanks for the recommendation. (Also for the Annie Downs recommendation too!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have his new book sitting on my shelf. I am glad to hear you loved it and "Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe". I am excited to start it asap.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is one of my favorite writers too. I did not know this boos was published. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have NEVER had a bad book choice - for me! I already hit Amazon and loaded my Kindle...sigh...I may have to jup over some of the books on the line...thank you? for adding something to my readerly life during the month of my writerly life!

    ReplyDelete
  6. New author to me, so I am going to search the library e-book collection to borrow one of the titles on my Kindle. Your words about them pulled me in.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. I love comments!