Saturday, March 4, 2017

We Are Writers!

We write every day in sixth grade. Each class begins with writing time in our notebooks. During the month of March, the slicers may blog during that time. Showing up and writing every day has created habits for us. We are living as writers. On rare occasions when the schedule changes, we feel it. We miss our writing time. Writing isn't the only important part of this...sharing our writing is vital. I wish we shared daily, but time seems to get away from us. My goal is for writers to have the opportunity to share every two or three days. This week, our sharing time got pushed til Friday. Sharing gives writers an audience. Sharing inspires new ideas and techniques.
Sharing teaches us. Sharing makes us all better writers.
Sharing is fun!

Here are some sixth-grade writers sharing. Notice the confidence? Notice the joy?


Used Prisma app for these pics.


Thank you to the Two Writing Teachers for this amazing platform to write and share writing! What a wonderful community you've created! I'm honored to be part of it. Join us at Two Writing Teachers.



Celebrating today! Join us at Ruth Ayre's blog 
for more celebrations!

12 comments:

  1. Audience can be a key consideration, although sometimes, our writing is for an audience of one (ourselves).
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this commitment you make to your sixth graders. Time will always slip away but when you value something, you do it. (And...love the Prisma app!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that sharing is one of the best parts of writing and also the easiest to put aside and not take the time do do. Kudos to you for having this all important goal to carve out some time to share their work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Once again, being writers ourselves and sharing our writing with each other, helps us to understand why it is so important for our students to get that same privilege and gratification of sharing their words. And I love that Prisma app - need to check that one out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, sharing is empowering for the writer; receiving feedback adds to the confidence. But also, those new ideas shared adds much to each writer's repertoire, as you said. Love this sharing & the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sharing our writing is special in my sixth grade classroom, too. Loved this peek into your room, Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so Grateful for you and your 6th graders! You and your class is teaching my first graders the power of authentic audience!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Writing and sharing our work definitely give us power. I've seen this happen many times. Thanks for sharing your experience!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Michelle, you have created a wonderful haven for your writers to explore life and share their work. Creating habits build routines and comforts. Living as writers in a strong community is an important part of your students' world now thanks to you. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the story here and those beautiful, happy pics!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes! Sharing is so important! I have made this a goal of mine this year, I started with sharing in first grade once a week. I thank you for the continued inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Michelle,
    I haven't written for a year...only 2 Tuesday posts during the year. I feel so rusty and not really motivated... I knew I wanted to read your inspiring writing on one of my first days back. What you shared in your blog about your student writers is so true for ALL writers! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. I love comments!