Monday, March 13, 2017

Am I a Writer?



What is a writer? Are you a writer? Am I? So many teachers struggle with declaring themselves writers...struggle with saying, "I am a writer." Here’s my idea of a writer…

A writer shows up to the page regularly.
A writer uses words to express and communicate.
A writer uses words to create new worlds or to make sense of this one.
A writer struggles through revision.
A writer jots.
A writer creates lists and copies quotes.
A writer takes risks and shares words with others.
A writer carries a notebook and uses it.
I believe a writer is someone who writes.
I believe a writer is someone who struggles with words and ideas.
I believe a writer must write to communicate.
I believe a writer shares some writing with an audience outside of themselves.
I believe a writer reflects and thinks through their words.
I believe a writer practices the craft regularly. 

You do not have to be published to call yourself a writer.
You do not have to be writing a book to call yourself a writer.
You need to show up.
Get words on paper.
You need to do this regularly.

Writing is thinking. The more you write, the more you think.
Writing helps me clarify my thoughts before I share them out.
Writing is reflection.
Writing creates empathy.

Your students need you to write.
Are you a writer? Yes.
Say it out loud.
Repeat after me, “I am a writer.”


Thank you to the Two Writing Teachers for this amazing platform to write and share writing! What a wonderful community you've created! I'm honored to be part of it. Join us at Two Writing Teachers.

12 comments:

  1. Writing "untangles knots of confusion" -- this is why we write.
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great post for this morning! I do know for sure, once again, that the MORE you write the easier it is to write. To be a writer is a state of mind as to be a reader.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This. This is what we all need to hear as we approach the midway point. And I love seeing pictures of your notebook!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a Writer, Michelle! I agree with your beliefs and what it takes to call oneself a writer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. 'Writing is thinking.' This month I am thinking like a writer and looking for words in all things, places and experiences. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michelle, I recently wrote about the many roles a writer plays. We are more than story tellers. Your post is a vibrant celebration of the writing life and all it entails. I love what you have created here. it speaks eloquently about it takes to consider yourself a writer. Each day we must start anew and address the challenge of the blank page. More power to you for this introspective piece.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You need to show up. So appreciated all of your thinking here. Thank you for all of your showing up

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did you write this just for me to read today?! Your instagram picture tonight of 72 notebook prompted my slice and thinking and wondering. I feel like you are telling me to just do it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yes, it's exactly what I think...about saying "I am a writer"...
    Thank you for your slice, Michelle.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I AM A WRITER.
    I AM A WRITER.
    I AM. A WRITER. (Thank you for your thoughtful post)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for always inspiring me and reminding me that, yes, I am a writer too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I needed this reminder of what makes me and every slicer a writer. It's hard to think of oneself as a writer, but we are. Thanks!📓 🖊

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. I love comments!