Saturday, March 11, 2017

From Grumpy to Grateful

Do you ever have a day when you are grumpy and you can't put your finger on a specific reason? Yesterday started out like that for me. I felt annoyed at things that normally don't bother me and I couldn't seem to shake it. Days like that frustrate me. What do I do? Fight it, sink into it, accept it, ignore it? I tried to control the grumpies the best I could and go on with the business of the day.
Yesterday was a day when classes were working on projects. I was moving from group to group, offering guidance and support, but the students were doing the work. My students in communications are busily filming and editing commercials. The sixth graders are beginning their picture book group projects.
As I walked around the room and listened in on conversations, I felt lighter. The picture books must include researched information from the students' own culture and because they are working in groups, they are figuring out how to incorporate diverse cultures into one story. The conversations are powerful and inspiring and passionate and amazing. I'm watching these students learn more about their culture and the culture of others. I'm watching them create a picture book. They want to make this good. I felt the grumpies going away.
Suddenly, there was a knock on the door and another sixth grade English teacher was there. She announced that her students had performed a random act of kindness for us.

The entire class walked into our room and each of them made bookmarks, personalized bookmarks, for each of us.

And that did it, the grumpies were defeated! From grumpy to grateful...that was my Friday!

Prisma app used to make these pictures.


Thank you to the Two Writing Teachers for this amazing platform to write and share writing! What a wonderful community you've created! I'm honored to be part of it. Join us at Two Writing Teachers.

19 comments:

  1. While I completely relate to your slice, I was captivated by your illustrations. Tell me more about that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I absolutely know that feeling because I felt it yesterday too. What a nice surprise from your fellow teacher's class that helped restore your good mood and faith!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goodbye, grumpies...hello gratitude. What a lot to be thankful for. (By the way, I never picture you grumpy!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! The description of your classroom speaks volumes about the work you and your students do together. No wonder you are grumpy. Your work is exhausting. But it was beautiful to behold in your post. The visuals were awesome. I love the way you can take images and conceal students' identities with a beautiful app. Thank you for keeping it real.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If we didn't have grumpy days, I don't think we would be normal! What a wonderful surprise from the other class - that would make anyone's grumpies turn around.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's the simple things that can turn us from grumpy to grateful. (I like that saying too. You better believe it's going in my journal!) And, yes, I downloaded the Prisma app last night when I saw it on your IG account. Love it! Thanks, Michelle! Have a super Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the effect of your photos. So glad that you included information about that. How wonderful that the class made the bookmarks. Random kindness. Unexpected. The best.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the post, and the pictures really captured me. It reminded me about Prisma, one of those things I had long forgotten after a switch from one phone to the next. Thanks!

    I love how you went from grumpy to grateful, from both a writing standpoint and a human standpoint.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how you reference "the grumps" and fought through your frustration. Sounds like there are amazing things happening in your classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great that grumpies left and gratitude arrived.

    ReplyDelete
  11. When learning is in active mode, it's a great way to go from grumpy to grateful. So I looked up Prisma for iPad and there are several. I couldn't figure out which one to download to create pictures like yours. Any suggestion?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has a white background with a black triangle for the app's logo. Hope that helps.

      Delete
    2. Thank you! Found one that fit your description, downloading it now.

      Delete
  12. OH MY! You have some colleagues! I too was a bit grumpy yesterday morning. I had PLANNED and hoped for a snow delay that did not happen for me. But the day ended with picking up my granddaughter and having the best 1 year old play date.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this so much! I love your pictures, I love that your students' work helped you work through your grumpiness, I love that another class came to share some loveliness with you and your students. This is wonderful! (Thanks for your note at the end, as I was going to ask if you did the artwork. Now I want to try Prisma!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great way to go from grumpy to grateful! Awesome co-workers. I did love your pictures...thank you for including the app you used, I was going to ask about that! I need to check that one out.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE the idea of having them collaborate on the picture book and having to incorporate a variety of cultures into one story. My wheels are turning with the possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, wonderful. With the first half of the post, I just thought you were just settling for a grumpy day, which we do sometimes. So many wonderful serendipities, though, helped it come out great in the end. Here's to more engaged students, collaboration, conversations, learning, and random acts of kindness to make all your days grateful ones.

    Warmly,
    Denise

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. I love comments!