I'm sitting here preparing for the first day of school. On my list is to write a note to the teacher I'm mentoring. It's her first "First Day of School" as a teacher. As I think about what to say to her, I reflect on my first "First Day" and I think about what I'd tell my "first year teacher self" on this First Day Eve. Here's some tips on your First "First Day" as a Teacher...
1. You are ready. It may not feel like it. You will check and re-check your plans a million times, but you've prepared for this moment. You got it!
2. Smile. Enjoy yourself! You set the tone in your classroom, so make it a positive and joy-filled place to be.
3. Breathe. There's so much to do and I know you want to do it all perfectly. Those students deserve the best teacher you can be! Breathe. In. Out. In. Out. What doesn't get done today, will get done tomorrow!
4. You are not perfect and that's ok! Be authentic, not perfect. We all make mistakes. You'll make a couple yourself. Be honest with the students. Be yourself. Own it when you mess up.
5. Remember it's their first day too. Whatever tiny detail that got missed...the students won't notice! They are busy with their own stress and worry and excitement for their own first day.
6. Take a First Day of School picture!!! It may sound silly, but you'll want it in later years.
7. Use the rest room before the day begins.
8. Ask for help. Depend on your teammates! We've all been there before and we want to help.
9. Enjoy the butterflies! Those nervous and excited butterflies in your stomach signal so many things...anxiety, anticipation, excitement!!!
10. Take a moment to stop and notice. This day will fly by so quickly...when you get a moment, stop and look around. Look into the faces sitting before you. Jot down the funny things said. Remember this day...it's the beginning of a life long journey!
Any other words of wisdom?!?! Please share! Have a wonder-filled first day!